Instaling a new HDD

zygis

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Hi,

I've bougt a new Samsung SpinPoint F4, 320GB, 16MB Cache and i've got few questions. Basically i wana remove my current HDD and just replace it with this one and then i want to setup everything freshly, so i just need to build the new HDD in, plug in the cabbels SATA II and power cable from PSU, then i just need to go into BIOS and set up the boot menu, CD-ROM first since i'm going to boot from a CD and install Windows freshly and then put the HDD into the second place? Then i just do the standard formatting, launching from a CD and doing the partitions in Windows setup?

I'm just checking if i have everything in right order just to not miss someting out.

Thanks.

It looks good to me. If you are replacing your current drive, you can just use the power and data cables from the old drive as they will already be attached to the correct spot on the motherboard. During the install of windows, you'll be given the oppurtunity to partition/format the hard drive.

zygis

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

So that looks good i guess, just got a question i've tried googling "Setting up new HDD's" and i saw some ppl talking about some programms called "fdisk" and so on? Or is it only when you want to add a new HDD to your current one?

Fdisk is kind of old school and you shouldn't need to worry about it. In fact it's been missing from windows since windows 2000. It is used to partition a hard drive. The windows installation will take care of this for you. If you were to add a new drive, you can partition/format it in windows "disk management". There is no need to use fdisk.

zygis

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Ok, thanks a lot. Btw i can use the old SATA cabbles for SATA II aswell right? Found it on google, but just want to be sure.

TRENDING THREADS