Is superclocked really necessary?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • EVGA
  • Overclocking
  • Displays
Last response: in Overclocking
January 6, 2011 7:23:20 PM

Can i OC my regular EVGA card to match the Superclocked version of the same display card?
And is the Superclcoked version the EXACT same card but "pre-over clocked" for me so I won't have to do that already?

PS - If i can just over clock the regular card to match the super clocked version of the same card then why in the world would I pay $50 extra if I can just do it at home myself?

More about : superclocked

a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2011 6:01:45 AM

overclocking voids your warrenty.
but for gaming,both the cpu and gpu combination maters..
if your cpu is good enough, it can utilize the display card well.
m
l
January 7, 2011 1:11:16 PM

manu 11 said:
overclocking voids your warrenty.
but for gaming,both the cpu and gpu combination maters..
if your cpu is good enough, it can utilize the display card well.

My CPU is Intel Pentium Core-Duo E2180 2.00 Ghz...Is that anygood?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2011 3:12:22 PM

The main arguement for buying a factory overclocked GPU is that you "install it and forget it". Buying a reference card and overclocking yourself will require the vendors utility to be running for your OC to be in effect. Minor, but can be a hassle... Nothing wrong with doing it yourself and saving money if you like that option!

Your dual core 775 CPU @ 2GHz is showing its age. Fine for light / mid gaming, but if you get more serious and need to process a lot of graphics, this CPU will become your bottleneck (assuming your GPU is up to the task).
m
l

Best solution

a c 124 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
January 7, 2011 5:58:50 PM

Overclocking doesn't always void warranties. Afterall companies like ASUS and MSI offer overclocking utilities, and even if it does void the warranty, other than BIOS flashing your card they won't even know.

So, OP, my personal opinion is that there's no reason to buy a factory overclocked card. The only real benefit is if it has a much better or maybe quieter cooler, or in some cases like ASUS TOP GPUs, they are the top binned components so you can get a good overclock out of them yourself.

But paying JUST for the factory OC itself, IMO, is not worth it. Not unless you're absolutely against tinkering with your hardware, like sadams04 said, "install it and forget it".
January 14, 2011 1:34:41 PM

Best answer selected by morkintash.
m
l
!