Sign in with
Your question

MA770-UD3

Last response: in Motherboards
October 1, 2009 2:34:12 AM

I ordered this on the advice of a friend, from NewEgg. I've just gotten it back from RMA from GB, and it's still running at 78C on one 'zone' on the board. Short of buying a new board, any suggestions? The CPU cooler is a monster, the CPU & case temps are fine, it's just this one hot-spot that keeps crashing the entire box every time I do something 'intense' (such as starting a game, etc.)

More about : ma770 ud3

a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 2, 2009 2:20:35 AM

The two (odd high temp & system crashes) are likely not related - your system is just unstable; we'll need a lot more info to help - CPU type, RAM count & part numbers, BIOS version, PSU size, vid card info... Have you done the (requisite) "Load Optimized Defaults" from the BIOS since start-up?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2009 3:12:49 AM

78C!!! ... Did Gigabyte tell you what that sensor was sensing? The only sensor I know for sure on my G board is the CPU... the other two I'm labeling as Case and Board, but I'm not really sure which is which. One runs 45C - 50C all the time and the other moves up when CPU temp goes up running Prime95.

But 78C that's not the CPU would seem to be a malfunction to me. A malfunction of the sensor, not the board.

Of course, I still have a "ghost" fan on my system. Sometimes when I run Prime95 and the CPU fan starts to rev up, a 4th fan sensor shows up at 15,000 rpms or so, appears and vanishes, over and over. Wouldn't bother me much except whenever it appears it wipes out the labels in CPUID HW Monitor for the other 3 fans. Sigh....
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2009 2:57:13 PM

Hi the temp of 78c is from the mosfet and is nothing to worry about I've got the same board with the same high temp and my pc not had a problem in over 7 months hope this heps
I researched this for 3 month and had to deal with gigabytes email support (not great in english) they told me it was the mosfet and that there ment to run hot (wish I still had email to show you and prove it).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2009 3:48:32 PM

Hmmm, the MOSFET, of course! At 78C, it must be a Metal Oxide Semiconductor Fried Egg Toaster! Designed to allow you to fry eggs directly on your motherboard. What a handy device and generous of Gigabyte to include it on this model - and with a handy temp sensor too!

Thanks for the answer loading - at least you got an answer from G. Any idea where it is? I wouldn't want to touch it accidently!
m
l
October 2, 2009 4:19:20 PM

Don't worry about touching them
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2009 5:31:55 PM

Ya know, I can't get anyone in the forum to actually laugh!

Thanks much for the info and I know bilbat will enjoy it.

OK, if we turn the board to the Northbridge is due North, then that must be the Eastbridge with the tiny MOSFET transitors! Wonder if that's what puts out the steady 45C on my sensors. Maybe I'll try G email support to find out what the non-CPU sensors on my board actually are. I'm guessing the 3rd sensor, that moves up when CPU is pushed hard is either the Northbridge or the case, but don't really know.
m
l
October 2, 2009 5:56:33 PM

I got an email back from Gigabyte saying that it's supposed to run that hot, which seemed a little odd, but....

I checked it, and it's not just the sensor thinking it's that hot - I used a thermo probe from the lab and yes, it really is running that hot. Only there - the CPU, case, etc. are fine.

K

loading said:
Hi the temp of 78c is from the mosfet and is nothing to worry about I've got the same board with the same high temp and my pc not had a problem in over 7 months hope this heps
I researched this for 3 month and had to deal with gigabytes email support (not great in english) they told me it was the mosfet and that there ment to run hot (wish I still had email to show you and prove it).

m
l
October 2, 2009 6:12:20 PM

Here are the specs on the system:
Raidmax smilodon case
Aurora 2 RX-600F power supply
Western Digital 1T SATA drive
LG DVD drive/burner
896-P3-1255-AR GTX260 RT graphics card
AMD A64 X2 5400 2.8G AM2 CPU
GSK F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK memory
ZALMAN 9700 LED RTL CPU cooler
I can't get in to check the BIOS as the mobo is on it's way back to California again....

bilbat said:
The two (odd high temp & system crashes) are likely not related - your system is just unstable; we'll need a lot more info to help - CPU type, RAM count & part numbers, BIOS version, PSU size, vid card info... Have you done the (requisite) "Load Optimized Defaults" from the BIOS since start-up?

m
l
October 2, 2009 6:52:18 PM

The raidmax case - not familiar with them - it has a case fan on the back panel that draws air out of the system. Yours is running and you're not using a fan controller or some other device to restrict the rpm?
You used a temp probe to get a spot reading. Was the hot spot in the area that loading indicated in his picture - the voltage regulators right behind the CPU?
The Zalman HSF. Which way does that mount? Is it blowing air toward the back of the case, or is it blowing 'sideways' toward the Video card or else the power supply?

Trying to understand without seeing it, if there might be some kind of airflow problem...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2009 9:56:35 PM

OK, so the 78C is normal, twice according to Gigabyte, so that isn't causing your problems. And the heat isn't affecting other pars of the board.

Why is the motherboard traveling again?
m
l
!