Sign in with
Your question

Freezing - finding the problem

Last response: in Overclocking
January 7, 2011 1:06:50 AM

I've experienced total system freeze ups recently when my system is under strain in a visually intensive game. I figured the issue was the GPU, and after some testing in Furmark it appeared that the GPU was indeed overheating and crashing.

However, I just got a new GPU tonight (HD 6950), and I still experienced a freeze up in a game. I decided to run a Prime95 test to get a better grasp on what's happening, and almost instantaneously my Worker #1 is failing, with the message "FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.49609375, expected less than 0.4." This is very odd, since my system has been totally stable for a couple of years now.

My system is
E8400 overclocked to 3.6 GHz
4GB OCZ Reaper PC2-6400
Radeon HD 6950
Asus P5N-D motherboard
650w Corsair PSU

My bios settings are
vcore 1.325
dram 2.11
ht 1.54
nb 1.54
sb auto
ram 4, 4, 4, 15, auto

Where do I even start to diagnose this problem?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 7, 2011 11:15:00 AM

Have you check your CPU temp during prime95? Try rechecking the cpu cooler maybe it's overheating.
m
l
January 7, 2011 6:35:45 PM

It gets up to 79C under intelburntest strain on standard settings... that's a little hot isn't it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
January 7, 2011 6:54:52 PM

Yes that's quite hot. Make sure the heat sink is free of dust, and definitely it can be worthwhile to reseat the heat sink with some new thermal paste.

Aside from that, it is possible for an OC to become unstable as time and electrons wear away at the circuitry. More than likely you just need to increase the voltage a tad - although at those temps I'd say instead you should drop the OC lower.
m
l
!