Sign in with
Your question

Multi-Soundcard System

Last response: in Systems
April 13, 2009 11:33:58 AM

Hi,

This may sound redicolous but I just want to ask if it's possible to have 2 or more sound card in one PC. The reason for this is that, my PC is currently use for watching my daughters movies. And sometimes I want to listen music or watch a different movie. I'm just wondering if I have 2 sound card I can setup 2 different speakers or headphone and specify each player to specific sound card.

Many Thanks,

Roberto

More about : multi soundcard system

April 13, 2009 1:07:45 PM

To answer your question, yes you can have two sound cards. It's not recommended but possible. There's a lot of problems that could be caused having two or more sound cards installed at once. Not many applications like this and it can cause an IRQ problem.

You might want to think about looking into some usb headphones. Plug you speakers into your sound out jack from your sound card. And plug in some usb head phones into an open usb port. Then its a matter of configuring your applications to use what device you want.
April 13, 2009 7:57:49 PM

Thank you kubes. Is there any motherboard out there that supports this setup? Thanks.
Related resources
April 14, 2009 7:08:00 AM

I don't think it depends on the motherboard, its more of a software realted problem right?
April 14, 2009 7:29:19 AM

yeah having multiple sound devices is fine. using vista x64 and windows 7 x64 I currently have 3 ouput devices. (sound card, mobo sound and wireless USB headset) provided that the software allows you to manually select to the output device. (windows media player will allow you to do so)
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2009 3:05:03 PM

There should be no issues. As said, the software has to be able to direct the sound to the right card, but most do. Technically only on app has to be able to since the other will use the default card anyway.

April 14, 2009 6:39:12 PM

lol, its like the SLI of sound cards.
!