Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive won't read?

Last response: in Storage
November 17, 2010 4:21:02 PM

My roommate used Windows 7 auto-format to format his external hard drive yesterday and it worked fine for a little while. He downloaded 5 torrents from demonoid and then the computer stopped reading it. My computer won't read the drive, either, and I'm wondering if formatting it might have caused a problem or what other reasons there are that his drive won't read?

What can we do about this?

More about : hard drive read

November 20, 2010 2:49:25 PM

1) reinstall a legit copy of windows
2) reformat ext hd
3) NEVER use Demonoid again!
4) Do not use P2P or torrent trackers!
5) You have virus/trojan/worm - better hope it is not in your MBR of HD
6) Better hope men in black suits dont knock on your door!
Good Luck Pirate!
m
l
November 21, 2010 3:43:13 AM

1) Reinstall a legit copy of windows? We both have legit copies, and both of them are on brand new computers that I just built, yet neither of our computers can read the hard drive.
2) How do I reformat it if the computers won't read the harddrive?
3) Why just Demonoid?
4) Unless you have an answer for 3, I'm going to assume 3 and 4 are the same thing
5) Unless I can actually connect to the harddrive to scan it, I don't know if this is true, yet.
6) Maybe they could figure out how to connect to the harddrive.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 21, 2010 5:40:25 AM

Check the cable first - Make sure power is applied to the external drive (usually their are indicators (LED)) then the data cable. In your windows explorer your external drive should be detected, if not try plugging the usb cable to another usb slot of your computer. You can try also another data cable that work or try your external to another computer.
m
l
November 21, 2010 6:54:26 AM

dEAne said:
Check the cable first - Make sure power is applied to the external drive (usually their are indicators (LED)) then the data cable. In your windows explorer your external drive should be detected, if not try plugging the usb cable to another usb slot of your computer. You can try also another data cable that work or try your external to another computer.

Thank you for trying.

The LED's are on, I've trying switching the USB ports and as I've said before, his computer wouldn't read it so I tried it on my computer and it also wouldn't read it.

Any other suggestions?
m
l
!