Is my graphics card dieing?

-pete-

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
Hey all, I just got in today and turned my system on and got this as my display

my graphics card is a couple of years old now (its an 8600gts if i remember right) this sort of corruption occurs from POST so the bios is practically unreadable, I haven't changed the drivers, added or removed anything, the display works fine with my 360 through a VGA connection, my PSU is a 640W corsair one.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
If this is occurring on the post then it is a hardware issue and not a driver issues

It could be the monitor, the vga/dvi cable, the graphics card, or possible even the power supply. Do you have some spare parts that you can use to check each component and see if it is the culprit?

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Have you checked that the temperature of the card?

-pete-

Distinguished
May 7, 2007

Its always ran hot, I know that much. Its a XFX XXX one so its overclocked from the factory, I've had numerous problems with it in the past (locking up my system, not running as fast as it should) most of the locking seemed to go away when you increase the fan speed but with it doing this now i can't see how that will help.

I'm pretty sure its not the PSU since its only a couple of months old and hasn't given me any problems in the past.

I guess I should rephrase my question to: what are the chances of this problem being something other than the graphics card?

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I think that it is most likely going to be your graphics card, however checking evertying else (such as the monitor and cables) is going to be much easier to do then checking your gpu (unless you have another one sitting around already).

Chances are that it is one its way out, but better to know for sure then invest money in something you dont actually need :)

-pete-

Distinguished
May 7, 2007

Well I dug my old mac mini out the cupboard and that works fine on the monitor, I can't find my old PSU and I don't have anything that I can really use to replace it but I'm gonna say screw it and just order myself a new card, I've being meaning to do it for a while anyways.