Sign in with
Your question

HELP!!!!!! VERY confused about processors

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 17, 2009 3:51:35 PM

hi, i'm a gamer and i'm looking for greater performance in my games. I'm going to upgrade my core 2 duo 2.2 GHz. Now i have two choices: the core 2 quad 2.33 GHz, and core 2 duo 3.0 GHz.... i'm going nuts!!!! :pt1cable:  which one should i upgrade to? I read in lots of other sites that the four cores of C2Q aren't even used most of the time, mostly 2 cores.... if thats the case then C2D is certainly the better option as it has higher clock speeds, but is it the case? i have a friend who got a diploma in computer hardwares, says C2Q is newer technology, so the C2Q 2.33 is way faster than my 2.2 GHz duo, and since i'm upgrading for gaming, he says within few years most games will support four cores. So i wanna know which processor would be the better choice? Plz help

More about : confused processors

July 17, 2009 4:13:38 PM

Your friend is right, newer, modern games have support for quad cores, I think quad cores are very useful, more useful than duals as you can do like I normally say malware scans and other stuff at the same time(when there's a game uncapable of using all four cores ;)  )
I say go quad core ;) 
Though I think you will have to overclock those bitches, they seem to run a little bit slow for newer games ;) 
July 17, 2009 4:28:34 PM

The C2D @ 3.0 Ghz would be better if you don't overclock, but you can get that C2Q 2.33 Ghz to 3.0 Ghz easily.
July 17, 2009 4:52:28 PM

But if i overclock, wont it take up more power? if i'm right, q8200 uses around 100W, so if i overclock, isnt it going to use more? and if i undervolt it, it'l be more unstable, if it doesnt get fried, right? i have a 750W delta psu, powering 2 HDDs, 1 gtx 260, 3 rams, a 180mm fan,140mm,90mm fan; will it be enough? and there'l be more heat then? i'l really be glad if i get some help with this
July 17, 2009 5:20:44 PM

It won't as long as you don't raise the voltages
And unvervolting it won't fry it, it will reduce the chance of it being ried ;) 
And I think a 750W PSU would be enough, I feed my system with a 850W and I got like a lot more components so you will be fine... :) 
July 17, 2009 6:13:08 PM

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks raven and ultraO. btw UltraO, wat coolers do u use? liquid? i use just the fans and turn on the air conditioner, so i think overclocking that high could be a problem. Anyway i'l go atleast 2.6 or 7 wen i do.
July 17, 2009 6:45:22 PM

wait a little while you'll get a lot more for your money
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 7:00:18 PM

The Q8200 won't use anywhere near 100W unless you overclock it quite a bit.
July 17, 2009 7:46:46 PM

ryan646 said:
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks raven and ultraO. btw UltraO, wat coolers do u use? liquid? i use just the fans and turn on the air conditioner, so i think overclocking that high could be a problem. Anyway i'l go atleast 2.6 or 7 wen i do.

I use a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme.
July 17, 2009 7:50:36 PM

Your friend is right... quad cores are becoming the new standar for gaming
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 8:04:18 PM

roco_nights said:
Your friend is right... quad cores are becoming the new standar for gaming

These are the sort of comments that were being made two years ago when the Q6600 was released, and whilst it may be true one day, that day is still several years and quite a few CPU evolutions away.
July 17, 2009 8:44:51 PM

Mousemonkey said:
These are the sort of comments that were being made two years ago when the Q6600 was released, and whilst it may be true one day, that day is still several years and quite a few CPU evolutions away.

So what you are saying is that games like CoD5, Crysis, L4D and others can't utilize 4 cores? ;) 
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 9:15:16 PM

UltraO said:
So what you are saying is that games like CoD5, Crysis, L4D and others can't utilize 4 cores? ;) 

You forgot GTA 4 and SC, either way it's hardly the 'many' or even the 'standard fair'.
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 9:22:41 PM

Mousemonkey said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/multi-core-cpu,2280...

Crysis
Dual core - 59 FPS
Quad core - 79.3 FPS

Left 4 Dead
Dual core - 76 FPS
Quad core - 84.6 FPS

World in Conflict
Dual core - 19 FPS min, 63 FPS max
Quad core - 28 FPS min, 69 FPS max
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 9:34:37 PM

That doesn't diminish the fact that it DOES make sense to buy a quad core CPU for gaming today.

"that day is still several years and quite a few CPU evolutions away." - :lol: 
July 17, 2009 10:17:10 PM

Unreal Engine which is one of the most popular engines for game developers right now makes impressive use of quad cores... that engine is 2 years old, I bet no serious game developer is making games right now without taking quad cores into account
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 10:34:14 PM

roco_nights said:
I bet no serious game developer is making games right now without taking quad cores into account

I agree.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 10:47:54 PM

Please tell me is: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU

as dual core processor?
please reply fast I need to buy a new motherboard and I don't know if this processor is dual core
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 10:57:18 PM

You need to start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. There are both Core 2 Duo (dual core) and Core 2 Quad (quad core) CPU's available. Start your own thread and post the model of CPU you're considering and you'll get more help.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2009 11:20:04 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
You need to start your own thread instead of hijacking this one. There are both Core 2 Duo (dual core) and Core 2 Quad (quad core) CPU's available. Start your own thread and post the model of CPU you're considering and you'll get more help.

sorry if I cause any trouble didn't want that I was just looking for help. but the processor I state is dual core right? I mean it just says this Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86..
I have this processor in my pc in processor says that twice. is dual core right? please reply and I'm really sorry
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2009 3:24:16 PM

Yes, the E6320 is a dual core CPU.
July 18, 2009 5:53:18 PM

quad cores have the advantage of running background stuff without interfering with total cpu power going to the game (if not quad core supported) but tend to be lower clockspeeds for the same price and a little harder to overclock.

dual cores have to sacrifice gaming power for background stuff at the same speed but can be overclocked further (i cn get quad cores to 4.2 and dual cores to 5.6 on air cooling) but generally have a bigger manfacturing process so produce more heat for the same clock speed and number of cores meaning a quad core will eventually become much more cost efficient after a certain amount of overclock.

tri cores (amd only i beleive) are true gaming cpus as they can have 1 core handling background stuff and be overclocked really far compared to quads and have all the advantages and none of the disadvantages, as well as being cheaper than quad cores and being geat for overclocking.

if you must get intel then get a quad core, if you are happy with switching to amd get a tri core.

July 18, 2009 5:55:16 PM

So i should buy the core 2 quad? i've used it at two friend's places, and the performances were not that good. one freezed if too many things were being done( my friend was browsing IE, installing a game, updating antivirus, and was trying to copy small files into my pendrive), and the other one was unusually slow(took 12 minutes to copy from dvd to HDD, while it took only 7 min in my c2d 2.2GHz). And both cpus made the casings hot. This things arent exactly encouraging me to buy quad cpus. They both have the 2.33GHz cpu. are all quads like this?
July 18, 2009 6:02:25 PM

Does the xfx 750i sli mobo support amd processors?
July 18, 2009 6:05:59 PM

first thing - that would be the harddrive locking up
second thing - non multi threaded application
third - they need better cooling
quads are like all computer components, the better they are the more they cost the more they need cooling and the longer it will last for.

unless you plan on upgrading within 6 months (every personal use computer i feel should last 2 years at the very least) then the quad will last you.

July 18, 2009 8:20:06 PM

the c2quad q8200 is in my budget, but the cpu is very hot because my friend uses 2 92mm fans(1 blowing cold air inside at the cpu, the other blowing the warm air out) while the clock speed is also low, so i'm thinking of buying the c2d e8400, and wait till the prices for the better quads come down, and more quad core games are made. then i'l upgrade to those. its a very dumb idea i guess, but i just convince myself to buy those quads
July 18, 2009 8:59:50 PM

ryan646 said:
So i should buy the core 2 quad? i've used it at two friend's places, and the performances were not that good. one freezed if too many things were being done( my friend was browsing IE, installing a game, updating antivirus, and was trying to copy small files into my pendrive), and the other one was unusually slow(took 12 minutes to copy from dvd to HDD, while it took only 7 min in my c2d 2.2GHz). And both cpus made the casings hot. This things arent exactly encouraging me to buy quad cpus. They both have the 2.33GHz cpu. are all quads like this?

Fascinating. And people wonder what I mean when I say the AMD Phenom II's are constantly described as "smooth".

Ph II's are also described as running "cold".

Other descriptions from buddies, they throw ANYTHING at it, amd it just eats it up - and then w Cool N Quiet, it goes back to power savings by running at 800 mhz.

Thanx for this description of what spintel's "pseudo quad" is like in real world computing situations. That socalled quad is 2 duals glued together; and it sounds like they are tripping over each other.

Ya think "inside" is good huh? ya figure?

And all these cpu's are known to be "end of life" - but nobody seems to know that either.

AMD owns ATI. AMD makes cpu, chipset, video. And they are constantly promoting their 'Platform Approach". Do you think maybe they might be making all these different parts with the idea of having them work well together? They claim an advantage because of that. Perhaps there is a remote chance that their is something to that. And they now offer an upgrade path that's described as "unheard of". But some people don't want to know. And they don't want to know about the EU fines either.

Perhaps I should not mention these things; since some people don't want to know. Problem is others do.

sigh
July 18, 2009 9:06:15 PM

Also I was wondering - if all these cpu's are overclockers; why doesn't someone suggest that the OP overclock his EXISTING cpu - rather than throw more money "inside". That sure seems better than investing more in an EOL sok 775.
Perhaps it simply won't overclock. I really know little of spintel specs. But isn't it using the old style "fsb"? frontside bus?

If possible goto bios and tweak that slow thing to put some excitement in it - it's a lot cheaper. and it seems you have little to lose anyway. I would look into that.
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2009 11:21:59 PM

when in doubt get more cores
July 19, 2009 12:20:32 AM

sighQ2 said:
Also I was wondering - if all these cpu's are overclockers; why doesn't someone suggest that the OP overclock his EXISTING cpu - rather than throw more money "inside". That sure seems better than investing more in an EOL sok 775.
Perhaps it simply won't overclock. I really know little of spintel specs. But isn't it using the old style "fsb"? frontside bus?

If possible goto bios and tweak that slow thing to put some excitement in it - it's a lot cheaper. and it seems you have little to lose anyway. I would look into that.

It's an E4500 which doesn't overclock very well without a lot of voltage increase, has low cache, and is 65nm instead of 45nm.
!