Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Anyone with any first hand experience with one of these?
I bought one the other day in prep for a 1155 build after reading some good reviews. Then last night I saw a review on one sight where they had to rotate it 90 degrees because the heat pipes didn't clear the heatsink on a LGA1366 board. Would that be the same on an 1155/1156 and does rotating this 90degrees have as much of an effect on the overall case cooling. It seems it would if the cpu heat is being directed up or down rather than out the side towards that fan. The CoolerMaster site says its 1155 compatible.
I haven't opened it yet and have to make a trip back to Microcenter when I eventually buy the CPU next week so returning it won't be an issue.
I bought it because it looked pretty streamlined for the big heatsink coolers. Also, the way the fans mount it looks like you can slide it up on the sink a bit to ensure clearance over the first RAM slot.

Solution
For the price of the V6 you can go for better coolers like Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme... though the V6GT is one of the better coolers from CM for a 1155 build i would suggest the CM hyper 212+ which should be enough to handle the SB cpu's... and is smaller and shorter than the v6 and should fit the Raidmamx Smilodon even with the 80mm fan in the side... the V6 GT will fit if you remove the side fan...

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
For the price of the V6 you can go for better coolers like Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme... though the V6GT is one of the better coolers from CM for a 1155 build i would suggest the CM hyper 212+ which should be enough to handle the SB cpu's... and is smaller and shorter than the v6 and should fit the Raidmamx Smilodon even with the 80mm fan in the side... the V6 GT will fit if you remove the side fan...

Solution

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010

Really? I had measured and it looked like the side panel would still hit it even with that fan dropped to the lower mounting.
Oh well, I already exchanged it for a Zalman 9900.
I didn't want to mount the V6, find out I couldn't close the panel and have to go through unmounting it and cleaning off the thermal paste. The V6 really looked sharp and Microcenter had it on sale that's why I went for it. They exchanged it no questions asked though so no harm no foul. The Zalman should do just fine and do way more than whats needed.