Phenom ii x3 720 or core 2 duo e8400

G

Hi,

I am planning to get a new pc... and for the processors i have narrowed it down to phenom ii x3 720 and core 2 duo e8400. There are threads at various forums dealing with the same issue. However, most of these were started by users into gaming or who were planning to overclock their processors. I am not a gamer and wont be overclocking either, just want the best processor for my budget(consider it to be sufficient for e8400).

I am inclined towards the 720. But how much of a difference
i)will the higher power consumption make? (a general idea - considering both longevity and extra cost due to extra consumption )
ii)will the lower clock speed make?

Thanks

BoBzzz

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
It would help to know what you DO plan on using your PC for if not for gaming. Just general stuff? Multimedia editing? Rendering?

there's likely very little difference in power consumption as a system when idling which is mostly what computers do.

As for the benchmarks, more programs will support multi-threading so your triple-core 720 will benchmark better as time goes on compared to an equivalent dual-core CPU.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

that was interesting, the intel chip won all the synthetics while the amd won most of the real benchmarks, with a few ties

You know what, ignore my previous posts:

"The E8400 uses 26W less at idle, and 41W less loaded."

That's pretty significant, especially if you have proper fan control so the noise would be much less. I've changed my mind and I'm recommending the E8400.

G

mainly general stuff....home use, few office tasks..not much of multimedia editing(the occasional video editing maybe)

G

a system with an upgrade path will be preferable..

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/def [...] p=83&p2=56

that was interesting, the intel chip won all the synthetics while the amd won most of the real benchmarks, with a few ties

considering my usage, the benchmarks favour amd right?.
"The E8400 uses 26W less at idle, and 41W less loaded."

That's pretty significant, especially if you have proper fan control so the noise would be much less. I've changed my mind and I'm recommending the E8400.

but how much of a factor is the excess power consumption? (apart from the noise)

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
for general use in multitasking, a 3-core would be better than a 2-core

also you should see mobo options re additional onboard features

if you plan on onboard video, for example, the AM3 boards have superior video power thru Radeon HD-3400 and soon Radeon HD-4200 (onboard chips). These solutions are considered best in the biz. They also offer multimedia capabilities, potential for home theatre, etc. (790GX and 785G). Plus the alt-option to add discrete GPU if needed.

If you plan on using more powerful discrete GPU solution, see the FX or X chipsets. These have no onboard video. (only Gigabyte offers the X chipset - MA790XT-UDP4.
NOTE also the AM3 cpu's will work in AM2+ mobos using ddr2 instead of ddr3 - offering even more choices. You need to understand the mobo options if you don't already. You can design for what you truly need, and not pay for what you do not need.

Power Consumption is easily dealt with through AMD Cool n Quiet - at idle, it switches seamlessly to 800mhz and reduced voltage as well - at intermediate loads, it will only use the power required for the cpu load - at full load, it switches to full power - and you won't notice these changes in power states. It just happens automatically w CnQ.

Also, if you don't want overclocking, you can opt for the "Phenom II 710" cpu, at a cost savings - it runs very slightly slower than the 720BE, and it does not have the unlocked multiplier, which is what makes the 720BE an ez overclocker.

Am3 cpu's work in either AM2+ or AM3 Sockets
AM2+ cpu's work in AM2+ Sockets only

AM2+ Socket MOBO uses DDR2 only.
AM3 Socket MOBO uses DDR3 only.

The AM3 cpu's have a dual memory controller (IMC) for either ddr2 or ddr3, depending on mobo used.

AM3 cpu's will continue to rollout thru end 2010.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
considering my usage, the benchmarks favour amd right?.

You don't even need to bother with benchmarks - the Phenom II has more than adequate speed for your intended use - and more.

You should be focusing on features of the mobos - and zoom in on what you really want to have for your personal use in real world conditions.

Do you need onboard video or a discrete GPU card?
= and take it from there.
- many extra features are common to many mobos beyond that - once you read a few specs lists on Gigabyte or Asus or MSI sites, for example, you just need to make sure you get what you really want.

= that s/b ez too.