Delayed write failed message

chmullin

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hello, I run windows XP and I am getting a "delayed write failed" message popup after about 4 min of using computer. I've shut down/restarted but it keeps happening. Once it starts to popup my computer essentially freezes. As I understand it I may be having a caching problem (I did try to download a program yesterday which had a hitch) or my hard drive is failing. I was told if it is the latter then I must keep computer off to prevent total hard drive erasure/failure so I'm afraid to turn it back on to check my caching. What to do?? p.s. I am not very computer savvy but not totally clueless either.

Solution
Ive used this with some success.

Turn off Enable write caching on the disk, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click My Computer.
Right-click the hard disk, and then click Properties.
Click the Hardware tab.
Click to select the hard disk, and then click Properties.
Click the Policies tab.
Click to clear the Enable write caching on the disk check box, and then click OK.
Click OK to close the Local Disk (C:) Properties dialog box.

however, if you are afraid of losing data, I suggest using a data transfer cable to back up your information to another working system before trying to mess with your machine. this way you have your data backed up on a working system, and if it is in fact due to failing...
Ive used this with some success.

Turn off Enable write caching on the disk, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click My Computer.
Right-click the hard disk, and then click Properties.
Click the Hardware tab.
Click to select the hard disk, and then click Properties.
Click the Policies tab.
Click to clear the Enable write caching on the disk check box, and then click OK.
Click OK to close the Local Disk (C:) Properties dialog box.

however, if you are afraid of losing data, I suggest using a data transfer cable to back up your information to another working system before trying to mess with your machine. this way you have your data backed up on a working system, and if it is in fact due to failing hard drive, you will be safe from losing data.

Solution