Sign in with
Your question

Guide for installing win7 on new ssd?

Last response: in Storage
November 17, 2010 10:16:13 PM

hi everyone, i got a few questions hope you can help.

1) i am building a new htpc with an SSD for Win7, Media Browser, etc. and 2x samsung F4 2tb drives for storage
2) is 40-60gb ssd enough for Win7 install and Media Brower?
3) do i need to do any tweaking/formatting etc. on the SSD before installing Win7 or is it as simple as attach the drive to the case, load win7 disk, and fire away.

thanks!
a c 352 G Storage
November 17, 2010 11:07:15 PM

(1) Normally I do not recommend the 40 gig SSD. In your case, if you are keeping the programs to a minium, it might be OK - But If you can spring for the 60, I would go for that.

(2) If it is the newer SF-1200 Controller and You Have an INTEL chip set I would down load the Intel RST drivers (Ver 9). Along with that down load the F6 driver (The intel ver 9 ahci driver is better than the usoft AHCI driver. For older SSDs and for AMD chipsets you do not need to do anything speacial during install. Win 7 will automatically load its driver and will properly align Partitions, enable trim, and disable defrag. Importantant - A) disconnet your Machanical HDD and B) Make sure Bios shows AHCI.

There are some tweeks you should do like disable hibernation - just google SSD Tweeks for Win 7.

What out for some of the Low end SSDs such as the Kingston V series.
November 17, 2010 11:43:10 PM

thanks chief,

i am more concern with "what do do" before win7 install. i found a few threads on here about tweaking after installing so i think i should be all set from that aspect. i will be running an AMD CPU (athlon II).

also, after reading the threads here it looks like the prefer SSDs are either Intel or OCZ. is that about right?
Related resources
a c 352 G Storage
November 18, 2010 12:41:42 AM

OCZ vertex-2, G-skill Pheonix Pro, corsair Force are very simular (use the Sandforce SF-1200 controller and are all SATA 3) they are faster than the Intel (Intel will be coming out with an updated G2, but I think the Sf-1200 will still be faster). Then there is the C300 which is about the only Sata 6 SSD @ newegg, but other SATA 6 models should start to show up. Might want to wait untill Black friday sales.

Just make sure you have your BIOS set to AHCI, But don't use the AMD ahci Controller, just let uSoft install the uSoft default AHCI driver. The AMD AHCI driver does not pass trim Cmd.
November 28, 2010 5:41:32 PM

RetiredChief said:
(1) Normally I do not recommend the 40 gig SSD. In your case, if you are keeping the programs to a minium, it might be OK - But If you can spring for the 60, I would go for that.

(2) If it is the newer SF-1200 Controller and You Have an INTEL chip set I would down load the Intel RST drivers (Ver 9). Along with that down load the F6 driver (The intel ver 9 ahci driver is better than the usoft AHCI driver. For older SSDs and for AMD chipsets you do not need to do anything speacial during install. Win 7 will automatically load its driver and will properly align Partitions, enable trim, and disable defrag. Importantant - A) disconnet your Machanical HDD and B) Make sure Bios shows AHCI.

There are some tweeks you should do like disable hibernation - just google SSD Tweeks for Win 7.

sorry, i went against your advice and purchased the Kingston 64GB V series SSD. It was cheap ($65), I couldn't bring myself to spend around $120 for the other 60GB SSDs.

I currently have a 500 Samsung F3 HDD as my OS, and a 2TB Samsung F4 HDD for storage.

Now what do I do? Disconnect all my HDDs and only install the SSD? Then install Win7?

Do I need to format my 500GB HDD which has the Win7 OS before connecting it again?

Thanks!
a c 352 G Storage
November 28, 2010 6:09:29 PM

(1) Disconnect your HDDs, connect the SSD up, Set Controller in BIOS to AHCI and install windows just as you would any HDD. Once installation is complete. Set boot priority to the SSD. Reconnect your HDDs.
(2) You can Reformate it, or leave the operating system on it for a while. You can daul boot by selecting the Key (F12 on mine) during post .that ask for which drive to boot to
November 28, 2010 6:38:39 PM

RetiredChief said:
(1) Disconnect your HDDs, connect the SSD up, Set Controller in BIOS to AHCI and install windows just as you would any HDD. Once installation is complete. Set boot priority to the SSD. Reconnect your HDDs.
(2) You can Reformate it, or leave the operating system on it for a while. You can daul boot by selecting the Key (F12 on mine) during post .that ask for which drive to boot to

great, thanks!

is there anyway to remove just the OS on the HDD? i have documents, photos, videos there that i want to keep, so would definitely like to avoid formatting the whole drive.
November 28, 2010 8:08:06 PM

Formatting a HDD will wipe all files from it.
You would have to backup all your files on another storage device before you format the drive.

I guess, you could maybe just delete all the files off the drive except the files you want to keep. But i wouldnt recommend it. Im not sure but by doing that, you could end up having some issues.
a c 352 G Storage
November 28, 2010 8:41:24 PM

You indicated you also had 2 samsung F4 drives. Install one of the Samsung F4 drives (Should have SSD, old drive, and New F4 drive connected). Boot to either your old drive or the SSD. May need to initialize, partition and formate the new drive using windows 7 disk manager. Boot computer and as ShadowDog indicated, copy all your documents/files off of the old drive. Don't forget to copy your favorites folder from the old HDD. When you are sure you have all files you want then you can reformate the old drive.

PS if you want your emails you will need to boot to old HDD and export them.
December 28, 2010 2:47:21 PM

installed win7 on new ssd, and here are some tweaks that i did.

- enabled trim
- disabled disk defrag
- disable indexing

anything other tweak that i need to do in order to maximize ssd performance/free up disk space?

thanks
December 30, 2010 11:30:11 AM

Do a clean install of the OS on the SSD
Install all programs on the SSD that you use most of the time.
Move your Documents folder to the HHD.

Rather than try and parrot steps by step instuctions here are some links to the steps and by doing so, give credit to the person that wrote them.

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/66473 [...] ndary.html

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/76147 [...] lders.html

Good luck!
December 31, 2010 1:02:18 PM

RetiredChief said:

Sorry to bring up this thread, I'm about to install my new Adata 64G 599 SSD, I'm using a Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H with Core i3 530 and planning to install windows 7 64bit.

I'd like to clarify a few things:

1. I'll set BIOS to ACHI, should I use the Intel RST v10 drivers (load during windows 7 installation)? Or use normal microsoft? Read a few posts were people got BSOD with Intel RST, that's why I'm concerned.
2. After I install windows 7 and load the Intel INF drivers for the motherboard, will the Intel RST drivers be replaced?
3. Is it advisable to move the windows "Users" folder to a HDD? Please explain if possible.

I'm planning to place the pagefile on a HDD.

Thanks,
Shane.

December 31, 2010 5:34:06 PM

read the links above aftrer that if you have quesitons then ask away.....
December 31, 2010 8:44:50 PM

mark_k said:
read the links above aftrer that if you have quesitons then ask away.....

If your referring to the links you posted, they're broken, please post the full links.

Thanks.
January 2, 2011 4:27:44 PM

RetiredChief, I like your moving docs URL better then the one I posted.

Thanks

Mark
July 2, 2012 3:44:17 PM

I read that alot of the SSD, may come with old firmware and that should be updated before installing OS on it. I read alot of BSOD, and freezes are fix with the latestest firmware, at less for OCZ 3 series... I have a 120G Agility 3 and plan to upgrade my current HDD to it. I will do a clean install, since I only have a few programs to install. Also, need to install all the mobo drivers too.. but all the information posted really help me decide.. Thanks All
!