Motherboard Dead

Akter8

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I used a computer for five years. A few months ago it is found dead. While checking, the fuse of the Power Supply Unit is found burned and faulty. I replaced with a new PSU but the PC is not turned on. No LED get lights, no fan mooves. It is noted that the Power switch connected with Motherboard (Bio Star) is ok. Now, what is the way to detect the faulty section of motherboard.

sbdragon89

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
um well 1st try with another pwoer suply, second, its way cheaper buyig new motherboard then to replace things that have popped, in all it just quicker and easyer,or what you can do is use a tester on dc system on board, but trust me when i say you got allot fuses to check

cen100

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Hi,

Try unplug the ATX connector from motherboard, HD, CD floppy ... etc

Check first if your new PSU is still alive :
- take ATX connector in hand
- locate Green Cable (PS_ON - PIN14) and short it with a Black one (GND - PIN15 ou 16 or 17)

2psfig7small.jpg

Let see if fan spin on PSU.

WARNING don't short other cable or your PSU will fry - ONLY GREEN AND BLACK

If it spin you can try tu use this tips to force the motherbord to working but be sure you have fresh Termal Paste on CPU and CPU Fan well seated, and your finger on the ON/OFF switch of the PSU.
But this tip give no warranty at all , at your risk. But this method starup my dead mobo.

Hope this help

cen100

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Oops I did misunderstand totaly the sentence (I'm french speaker, sorry)

If you have Power Switch on PSU , my tips is not needed I think

But why not buy a Diagnostic PCI/ISA card from China (1 $/€ eBay + 2-5 €/$ shipping)

I've one and give exact POST code and Power monitor (LED : 5+ 12+ 3+ ...) that can give a clue.

Hope this help.

Tricky to know exactly what is going on with this pc without knowing more about what you might have tested. without any other power supplies or machines to swap parts, I also recommend to test the current PSU for its readiness.

With pc's 5 years or older, pretty much anything could go wrong. They just aren't built to last for many years. If your refrigerator were built like a PC, you would prolly be afraid to eat anything out of the freezer after About 2 years.

bob73

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
If I understand correctly, your original PSU blew a fuse. You've tried a new PSU, but the computer still won't turn on.

It sounds to me like your motherboard may have gotten fried along with the original PSU. I would try a new motherboard, but keep in mind that your processor, ram and video card may have been taken out as well. With a system that's 5 years old, you may want to cut your losses and start looking for a new system.