I have samsung SP2504C hard drive

Faruk

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
S.M.A.R.T. warns it is bad. can it be repaired or it needs to be replaced. i took it off and then rejoined, S.M.A.R.T. result same that it is bad. if i replace do i have to replace exactly same make model or i can choose any hard drive may of greater capacity?

You have a sata II drive. Fry's has a hitachi 500gb and newegg has a western digital 500gb; both are $49.99 today. Rarely are defective drives repaired, but data can be recovered. If the drive sometimes works, newer software that comes with the new hardrive can make an exact copy of your old drive. I used maxblast 5.0, and it made a perfect copy, saving hours of downloading. Choose any size or brand of hardrive you like. Windows 2k pro or xp may have trouble detecting new sata II drives without loading a sata driver during the windows installation process. You can use a floppy or usb drive to load the sata driver for a fresh windows install. Vista won't require you to load any sata drivers. The hardrive software can also be used to prep and format the new drive or vista should do it for you.

Pointertovoid

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
The SP2504C exists both in Pata and Sata so you have to check which interface your computer accepts.

Depending on your OS and Bios, you may have some limits at 128GiB (137GB).

A few known incompatibilities exist as well.

But generally speaking, there is strictly no need to replace a Hdd by the same model; this is a good opportunity to look for a faster model than the SP2504C.

Smart is rather reliable (but not completely) so if it tells your disk is dying, do not use the disk, and find quickly a backup method. Borrow a disk, backup on another computer (from another person if needed).

If this is our OS disk and you don't have an installation CD, it's about time to find one or burn one. Same for the drivers.