HD4890 Crashing?

sycle4

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I just got this card and when changing DX9 to DX10 on Far Cry 2 it crashes when loading to menu and i have to force reboot, and it can't even get to the menu on Oblivion without freezing right when the menu sounds go on. even sometimes when rebooting and accessing the catalyst control and pressing the "3D" menu the computer would freeze.

At one point while playing Crysis it crashed and gave me a BSOD, which fixed itself saying the "ATI graphic driver crashed" so i clean installed the 9.4 drivers and same problems are happening. it also isn't overheating because the temps staying at like 57 to 60's.

is the card a fluke, or is there something i'm doing wrong? any help would be appreciated

oh and my specs are e8400 @ 3.0, sunbeam 580w, 8gigs ddr2, vista home 64bit

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
I had similar problems. I reinstalled OS and downloaded the 9.4 suite and it seems to be fine now. Its much more stable than before. Also, try installing just the driver instead of the whole suite. Still no go, try an RMA. Could be just a bad card. Maybe its not getting enough power - a pre-built computer generally has little power to spare.

sycle4

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
i downloaded driver sweeper cleaned out everything ati and nvidia and still same problem, so i reformated got rid of nvidia chipset drivers and installed 9.4 and still same problems. i'm gonna assume its the card and try getting a replacement

thanks for the help everyone! very appreciated!

sycle4

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
how do you clean install the os? i deleted the partition and reinstalled vista onto it

specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo E8400 CPU @ 3.0GHz 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache 64-bit
SUNBEAM 580WATT POWER SUPPLY
WINDOWS VISTA HOME BASIC 64-BIT
BIOSTAR TP45HP INTEL P45 CROSSFIRE
500 GB SATA II 3.0 GB 16MB 7200RPM
POWERCOLOR ATI RADEON 4890 1GB DDR5
2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800 x4
GIGABYTE 802.11G 54MBP WIRELESS PCI
ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND
APEVIA X-SNIPER MID TOWER

ive called cyberpower and they said they'll take a look at the computer, i just have to bring it to them (i live 15mins away)

sailer

Splendid
One problem I see is the PSU, as pointed out by Orangegator. That Sunbeam 580wt may be just too small to power the 4890. I'd look to a larger, good quality, PSU with a minimum of 650wt.

A problem with Cyberpower, and a few other companies, is that they will stick an inadequate PSU in as standard and the unknowing customer will buy it without realizing that the PSU needs to be upgraded to actually run. Oh, it might turn on, but once any load, such as a game, occurs, the computer will crash. I think this might be happening in your case. The Sunbeam is right on the line concerning power and it gives up when anything more is demanded of it. So if you take it back to Cyberpower, ask about having a larger PSU installed.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
The problem isn't the size (watts) of the psu, it's the available 12V+ amps and the overall quality. A 500W Corsair, PCP&P, Seasonic, or Antec psu would be fine to run the HD4890.