Oct 1, 2009
Hey guys,

I've just bought some hardware and put it together:
- Asrock P45XE (bios v02.61)
- Core2Duo E8400 (not overclocked)
- OCZ 2x2GB SLI Ready
- Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT
- BeQuiet Straight Power 400W

(the first three components are brand new, the rest has been used in my previous set for some time.)

The problem is that every time I unplug the power cable, the cmos settings are being cleared (exactly the same result as with the jumper set to the "clear cmos" position). At first I suspected the battery, but it produces pure +3V (also, doublechecked with another one). Then I tried measuring the voltage between the "cmos reseting" jumper (in the correct position) and the ground, both with the power supply plugged and unplugged. In the first case it produdes ~3.2V, but in the second it drops to 2.4V. Do you have any ideas what can be the source of that problem (mobo malfunction perhaps?) Thanx in advance for any suggestions!

cen100

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Hi,

You seem to be clever enough to have already try this :
- put the MoBo out of its case on a table (maybe a screw or bolt between mobo and case) and remove all un-uselful hardware, put the minumum.
- check the contact on the 'spring' and on the battery (Contactclean® ...)
- follow +3V from battery with multimeter (maybe the battery socket is not wel soldered, Monday's mobo)
- try to reset BIOS with CLEAR_CMOS set pins to 2-3 and then 1-2 (be sure power cable is unplugged for this)
- directly enter BIOS and Load Default or Optimized Settings then reboot wait 5 minutes if it stay

BIOS can be cleared by itself if the configuration is inapropriote (by desing)

Do you use PS/2 Keyboard or USB ? On PS/2 check if pins are ok.

Hope can help.

wandal007

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hi,

the contact seems fine, that is it also produces +3V result.

I've tried putting the mobo on the table (left it only with graphics card and keyboard), the result is still the same. Also, I've replaced the keyboard (PS/2 with PS/2, as I only have those), reset the bios and unplugged cpu fan cable. Finally I replaced 8pin CPU and 24pin mobo power connectors with 4pin and 20pin respectively, and frankly I'm running out of ideas :)

cen100

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009

Hi,

Did you already tried an update of BIOS ? You said that your Asrock P45XE bios is set to version v02.61 but on their website the version don't go above version 1.70

Are you sure to have enough thermal paste between CPU and cooler-fan ? Do you feel heat from some component ? Take a look in the BIOS > PowerManagement / System Health.

Maybe the CPU go to hot and BIOS decide to clear it self to "avoid" to be "hot" again.

Hope this help ... but if you all check what was said before, indeed it's seem to be a bad MoBo (or only BIOS/CMOS chip) ... or combination of your hardware (maybe try wiyh an old Graphic Card) or your brand new PSU give bad current ... of course if you have this hardware in spare ..

Sorry no more idea

cen100

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
mmmh try with only one RAM (2GB) and change slots (if not already done)

Have you disabled in the BIOS the ASRock logo at startup ? To be able to see POST messages
If not ;
Just do :
Start the MoBo,
Enter BIOS,
Load Optimised Default,
set Date/Time,
Disable ASRock Logo at boot thne
Save BIOS and Quit
The MoBo should reboot
Should make only ONE beep
Try to read POST message (you can press Pause/Break if it go to fast) if there is some message exept for detecting HDD CD/DVD
Let the MoBo on for 5 minutes
Shut down properly the MoBo (Soft-off)
Unplug the Power cable

And see.