Dell dimention 3000

bigdaddybus

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
Hello,
boot up suddenly stopped working
can get splash screen and bios pressing F2 but it just keeps rebooting to splash screen

bigdaddybus

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

cannot get into safe mode it just keeps rebooting
have tried windows xp disc but it still dose not register

bigdaddybus

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

yes i have done that but still nothing happens only the dell splash screen and another reboot the disc drives seem to be working ok
cpu seems ok on the BIOS SCREEN
MEMORY seems ok
i'm lost on this one

Going to venture a guess and say you have a MOBO problem and need some professional diagnostics. Sorry, out of ideas. Good Luck.

bigdaddybus

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

yes i think you are right i will have to to put the old work horse to sleep
much thanks for your help anyway

Don't know if the 3000 had the "post lights" on the back of the unit or not, but you might check to see.

Good chance the Power Supply has crapped out also. Even though it is trying to boot, there is not enough power to the devices to boot. I believe it is a low end 250 Watt unit, that goes for around $30-$40 (including shipping). I ordered one from this supplier for a Dimension 4400 which worked fine, should you be interested: http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1&c=306&c=147&c=5236

If you decide to replace it, make sure the connection to the MOBO has the same # of pins (20, I think). And, of course, being a DELL, you can't use a standard digital PSU tester because they switched some connectors to make them proprietary ! But you could always use the Multimeter !

Hard to put old friends to sleep !

bigdaddybus

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

yes it is a 250 Watt psu
i have an old 350 in my sons old computer i will change it and see what happens
thanks