MBR unacolated sternal hard drive

PC BUILDER

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
hello guys i need a little help i have a external 2.5 hard drive that is formated to something called mbr and is not showing up in my computer when i hook it up to my pc. I want to know if there is any way i can format it to what i need the nts or ntfs format.

Solution
If you select the drive in disk management and right-click it, does it give the option to delete the partition or delete striped volume? That should set it back to raw. You definately don't want striped image. Also, I don't think it will allow you to use fat32 on drives of a certain size or larger. I had to use a 3rd party formatter to do this on a drive of mine. I used disk management to create the partiton than used fat32formatter to format the partiton.

http://fat32-formatter.softwareandgames.com/

Also, you can't convert between formats without losing data. If you have data on the drive you would have had to back it up first, convert the drive, then restore the data.

To change formats, you need to delete the partition, then...

PC BUILDER

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

It is a custom build that i made myself and the operating system is windows 7 professional,if you need anymore information please let me know.

PC BUILDER

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

i did that but i was trying to convert it to a fat32 format and did not know how so i clicked on the drive and selected and clicked new striped image that is what turned it into the mbr volume. I was woundering if there is a way to get that drive back to nfts.

If you select the drive in disk management and right-click it, does it give the option to delete the partition or delete striped volume? That should set it back to raw. You definately don't want striped image. Also, I don't think it will allow you to use fat32 on drives of a certain size or larger. I had to use a 3rd party formatter to do this on a drive of mine. I used disk management to create the partiton than used fat32formatter to format the partiton.

http://fat32-formatter.softwareandgames.com/

Also, you can't convert between formats without losing data. If you have data on the drive you would have had to back it up first, convert the drive, then restore the data.

To change formats, you need to delete the partition, then recreate it. It will then show up as "unallocated space". Then you can format it. Also, when you create the partition, select MBR, not GPT.

Solution

PC BUILDER

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010

i already stripped image.