Omega Striker vs. Omega Claro+?

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I am looking for a new sound card that will last me at least 4 years and recently came across the Omega Striker and Omega Claro+. Both received great reviews, however the Claro+ costs about $100 more. I mainly game and listen to 320kbps MP3's on my sennheisser 212 headphones and my crappy 2.1 altec speakers (which I plan to upgrade to 5.1 or 7.1 in the future). Would spending the extra $100 be worth it? I really don't have a budget but don't want to spend an extra Ben on something that I won't even notice. Any suggestions? Thanks!

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Rather interested myself actually, been using onboard optical out from my Asus Maximus Formula m/b for 2yr through a digital AV amp to 5.1's.

Think thats pretty nice but really don't know much about sound.

Well, the Omega Striker is an awesome sound card with a good numerical equalizer which gives you a really crisp sound. I really don't think you need a Claro+. The extra money could be well spend on something else.

The Omega Striker already got 7.1 and 5.1 DTS support. You also got a coaxial and an optical audio out, which is awesome since you can hook your computer to your home theater audio system. Seriously, I really don't know what the Claro+ can offer more... ASIO support?

Even there, EAX and DTS are fully supported with the Omega Striker.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks for the reply. The glaring difference was that the Claro has a sample rate of 192Khz while the Striker has 96Khz. Is this really a big difference? If not, I guess striker is definitely more bang for the buck.