Does not log in if DVD/CDrm not connected

caseyryback

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Hi everyone, first i would like to thank Tomshardware and all of you guys who shares their experience and help.
Here's my issue:
I have this problem with my sisters PC. If the DVD/CDrm is not connected or not plugged in, it won't have an option for her to log in to windows - like typing the username and password.

its like this:

We connected the DVD/CDrm on the pc then turn it on and it boots normally and she can log in to her account.
but, if we don't connect the DVD/CDrm, it boots to windows but it does not have the option to choose the acct and the option to type in the password. but instead it has blue screen. So we have to shut down the pc again and connect the DVD/Cdrm so she can log in.

We only have one DVD/CDrm and shares it with two PC.
She doesn't actually need the DVDrm and I am the one who needs it for my job.
We are using the same OS Windows XP SP3 (the same CD as mine)
But my PC can log in without any DVD or CD roms connected.

So far we tried to reformat it 2 times already.
That's the only thing we did so far, but still it is thesame.

Please help us.

Can you provide more info about the PC? How is the DVD-ROM connected to the PC? When it's connected, is Windows XP on the C: drive? If you wait for several minutes, does the login screen eventually gets displayed?

caseyryback

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Sorry for the late reply. Got a lil busy.

PC info:
MB- Jetway AWRDACPI
Processor - Intel 2140 1.6 dual core
Memory- 1GB
HD - Samsung 40GB
VidCard - 8500gt
OS - Windows XP SP3

DVD-ROm is connected via SATA
Yes, Win XP is in the C: drive

Hardisk is NOT connected via SATA just the previous connection. Don't know what its called, but its not connected via SATA.

By the way Hardisk is partitioned C: drive 20GB and D: drive 20GB.

We tried waiting for a few minutes like 15-20 min. but it's just blue screen.

caseyryback

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Ok bro, sorry again for the late reply.
Here's the content of boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

The boot.ini is correct. Is the DVD-ROM an internal or an external unit? Is the DVD-ROM in the list of bootable devices? If so, remove it from the list and reboot the system. Then shutdown and disconnect the DVD-ROM. When you boot again, does Windows XP work normally?

caseyryback

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Ok, i did what you said bro,
Im not sure what you mean about internal or external but i think the DVD-ROM is internal.
Yes, DVD-ROM was in the list of bootable devices and I removed it as you mentioned.
I shut it down and disconnected DVD-ROM, boot it again and still it was thesame bro. =(

pinkgeeker

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
@GhislainG
Dude no offense, I don't think the steps you gave him will work. :non:
Maybe the last option is buying, but that's not good enough. You're mean.LOL. :pt1cable:
Issue is not totally resolved with that.

@caseyryback
This is not a common issue and is rare.
Most probable cause for this are:

Changing new Hardware or other peripherals
HardDisk is partitioned and not formatted deleting the old partition
The OS you are using might be tweaked - or custom changed
Motherboard (Mobo) bios issue
(actually a lot to mention but the common causes are the above mentioned).

I guarantee you this is not an easy task, but it looks like you can do it.
Just lighting you up eyh.... LOL! :pt1cable:

OK now, what is the error message on the blue screen?
and below it has error codes starts like 0X..... 0Xc... 0x000...

Since you've mentioned the HD is partitioned, heres what we are going to do:

We will reformat it again. Sounds frustrating huh?

but first: open the case of the PC then on the motherboard take out the battery. It looks a battery of a wrist watch.
Take it out overnight.

Now:
Since device boot is changed from previous suggestion by "GhislainG", which is not actually needed because it doesn't involve with that. There's actually nothing wrong with boot issue in you PC.
Since you mentioned "IT BOOTS TO WINDOWS BUT DOES NOT HAVE THE OPTION TO LOG IN THE ACCT." but instead a blue screen and boots normally ALSO if DVD-ROM is connected.
We need to change it to "boot from CD"... something like that in your bios setup.
REFORMAT EVERYTHING, make sure to delete all partitions.
Try that for now.

Just an advice. It may not work this time. But I have already encountered this issue and has resolved it. This is a rare one, because most people nowadays use DVD-ROM but I'll help you. I understand how you feel. There are still a lot of steps be done if this doesn't solve it.

Inform me if it works.

and by the way, how old is the hard disk? and what is the model no.?
Are there any new hardwares installed? ex. Memory, VidCard, soundcard,...
The OS you are using can you give me a little info about it? Is it Genuine? Just to let you know I'm a Tech Sup. from MS. LOL! :pt1cable: because if not, I'll charge you. hahha! just kidding dude. just to lighten you up.

Inform me ASAP OK? Goodluck.

I might be mean, but I wouldn't spend several hours to tweak the registry or perform an OS reinstallation (which has apparently been done twice) to figure out an issue that can be resolved with a simple DVD-ROM which is required to reinstall the software anyways. That's just me, but the OP might think that it's worth it. It would obviously be great if you can help him resolve that issue.

pinkgeeker

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
@GhislainG
It's obvious you don't know how to solve this ok?
So, just get lost. I'll help him anyway.
One more thing, just an advice, if you want to help anyone or someone you don't need to be mean and watch what you are saying, what i mean is that even though you don't mean it. At least you could have just put in some "smileys" duhh...

By the way you mean to say it will take you hours to edit registry for this kind of issue? Man, your slow... Sounds mean huh?
I guarantee you we won't even reach any registry edits and this will be solved.

Last thing, stop pretending as if you know how to solve it. You could have just mentioned at first if you have encountered it or not or just by simply saying it may not work before giving any steps (that doesn't envolved the issue) and just end up being lazy, and just tell him to buy another one. That should have been your first "question" and suggestion for him, if why doesn't he buy a new one and what if why not. Dude, you're a lame Tech help. If I were to give you rating, I'll give you DSAT!

Sounds to me your just for forum level up. LOL just kidding...

@caseyryback
If you are online, check your inbox on the other site where you posted this issue. I have read it and I'm pretty sure it was you. I have sent you my YM. Add me up. Then buzz me if you have time for TS.

I didn't add smileys, but I was just kidding. You are correct that I can't solve it remotely and that's why I wrote It would obviously be great if you can help him resolve that issue. and I really meant it. I'll admit that I don't understand why it got you upset.

caseyryback

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Problem is solved. Thanks pinkgeeker.
The harddisk's partitioned should be deleted, since i changed my motherboard and RAM. I actually did not delete the partion at the previous reformats. He also let me try using a different OS, borrowed from a friend of mine and thats what i used. Problem is now solved. I hope this can help to anyone who might encounter this problem.

Thank you also ghishlaing even though it doesn't help, but thanks for nothing anyway... it's still appreciated.

Guys, please stop arguing each other. You both deserve credits.