Sign in with
Your question

NVIDIA 7600 GT. Suddenly PC won't boot.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 5, 2009 6:30:52 PM

I was playing a game this morning on my Windows Server 2008 (yes, I’ve been using it as a workstation for months) when my computer BSOD’d. It did a couple of times in the past. I think the last time it happened was last month, but I figured “Widows, right?” so I was not too concerned.
When the computer was rebooting, there were artifacts on the screen.

When it finished, it BSOD’d again. And again. And again.

The message states: “Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.”

I also had Windows 2003 Server installed, so I tried booting into that, but I kept getting the same error. So I think that pretty much rules out the possibility that the drivers have gone bad, correct?
I have been also running memtest for an hour. No errors have been detected so far.

Do you think that it’s most likely the video card that suddenly broke? Or could it be the motherboard?
The video card is EVGA NVIDIA 7600 GT. The motherboard is Gigabyte 965P-DS3. Neither component shows physical damage.

a b Î Nvidia
May 5, 2009 8:37:59 PM

That sort of video coruption is a classic sign of a video memory fault.
Time to change the card.
I'll take a flyer here and say your PSU is quite weak, best bet is for a HD4670 or 4650, neither needs a seperate PSU power lead and draws all its power from the PCI-E slot.
Do n't know about driver support though, I would suggest you check further before a purchase.
May 6, 2009 3:58:54 AM

yup its the video card... mine did it yesterday. it lasted 2 and a half years... the funny thing is, is that i ordered an ati radeon hd 4800 on saturday and right after my 7600 died (kinda weird) :heink:  . so yea i tried it on another computer and it would show the vertical lines and not boot up. I think its time to upgrade man. Sorry :( 
May 6, 2009 5:04:39 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Since I have a 430W power supply with 17 amp on the 12v rail and I am not much of a gamer, I am going to get a Radeon HD 4670 for about $75 (rather than a GeForce 9800 GTX+ for $120, plus a new PSU). I suppose I can postpone upgrading the whole system for another year or two. Thanks again!
!