Stable OC or not?

andersonson

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
HI.

I bought AMD Phenom II X4 955, 3.2ghz the other day. and decided to OC it slightly.

My total specs:
Mobo: Asus M3A78 PRO
CPU: as above.
RAM: Kingston DDR2 6gb i think 400mhz it says in CPU-Z.
GPU: ATI HD5770 1gb.
PSU: CM 520w

i went into bios and and just upped the multiplier by 0.5, left everything else on auto.

this is how it looks on cpu-z atm:
opd838.jpg

and speedfan shows this:
2zpkw10.jpg

ive played certain games and such only so far. and it seems stable. im not looking to OC it any further. but is this stable? and how to check if it is 100% stable or not?

Hypertension

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I might be completely ignorant (probably am) but I didn't think a 0.5 multiplier increase would result in a 400 MHz increase.....

Anyways...free bump.

andersonson

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
i meant i did 0.5x increase then started up again and so on. only upped the multiplier and nothing else.

is it stable to up as much as i did with everything else on auto but only increasing the multiplier? so far i did the tests and it seems stable with temps and all.

im not looking to increase more. hence should i leave it as it is now or do i need to tweak anything else? or is it fine the way i did it? :)

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
These cpus love the cold more than anything else , what cpu cooler are you using?

I have the same cpu , and a zalman cnps10x quiet cpu cooler.
OCed to 3.8ghz with voltage 1.42v stable.
temp at idle 28c , load at 51c , and my room is cold :p

Try SuperPI for an hour or two , if you dont BSOD then you're good to go ;)

Hypertension

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
What I was saying is that you did more than a 0.5 increase.

Your "Core Speed" in CPU-Z shows 3609.2 MHz which is derived from the Bus Speed (200 Mhz) multiplied by the "Multiplier" which is 18.

200x 18= 3600 Mhz.

Working backwards a 0.5x step decrease would result in a 3500 Mhz core speed. Which isn't the same as stock. Stock multiplier is 16 aka 4 steps under what you're currently at.

If your temps stay in the same region they are in your screenshot UNDER STRESS TESTING and you dont BSOD...i'd call it safe/stable. Up a few posts is recommendations for stability testing...I prefer prime95 (in short bursts not the 24 hr+ burn in since u only did multiplier increase) or 3dmark. Watch the temperatures during the testing and check the maximum. Not sure exact 'accepted' maximum but aim to keep it below 70 under stress. Its unlikely you will ever achieve the same temperatures in real world use as during stress testing so take everything with a grain of salt.