Question about future Phenom II cpu's

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Anyone know if AMD will be releasing 95watt Phenom II's in the future that are 3Ghz+ ? Reason I ask is my motherboard only supports 95watt cpu's and in the future I want to be able to jump to a decent PII.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Yeah, I have found info on those. Not looking to go less than an X4 after working with a quad. I am hoping some lower TDP revisions come out for the existing PII's.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Not interested in the new motherboard idea. Just got this setup a couple months ago. I am plenty happy with what I have now; just wanted to know for future references. I would rather wait for whats after socket AM3 if I was upgrading the motherboard, if possible

You might be waiting till 2011 then for after socket AM3...AMD will ride this socket for a while it seems compared to their last few.

AMD came out with Socket AM2 in 2006 and didn't replace it until earlier this year with AM3. AMD tends to only change sockets with their IMC-equipped chips when they change the type of memory, so I wouldn't expect to see a successor to AM3 until DDR4 RAM comes out or they make a major change to the CPU's I/O pathways that necessitates a new socket. DDR4 is probably going to come out in 2012, so I'd expect AM3 to be around a while if AMD doesn't make any huge changes to their CPUs' I/O. I don't know if they would do that, but if they did, it would probably come in 2011 with the introduction of the K11 "Bulldozer" CPUs. I do know that the upcoming DDR3-using Opteron sockets C32 and G34 will support both K10-based chips and K11/Bulldozer-based chips, but those brand-new sockets may very well have a pinout that will support those upcoming features. AM3 probably does not support much that's not in current CPUs since AM3 CPUs work in AM2 boards, so the pinout must be pretty much identical between AM2 and AM3. That doesn't leave much in the way of future expansion, unless a lot of those 938 to 940 pins are "no connect." I can't find an AM2/AM3 pinout, so I can't tell you.

sighQ2

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
CURRENTLY RELEASED 95watt QUAD PH II cpu's: 810, 910

also at 65w QUAD, low energy models: 900e, 905e

(also triples: 710, 720BE at 95w; and low energy 700e, 705e)

Coming Soon:
Ph II 925 and 945, at 95w tdp, are due to release soon - Q3 09.

RE oclox
- except for 720BE, these are not Black Edition parts - so the multiplier is locked; but other settings are still available for adjustments.

In the op's case, the 95 w mobo is a possible restriction since oclox would raise pow consumption and heat; this might effectively mean exceed the rated tdp.

Which is why AMD made some one-off super-leaky Phenom II 42 TWKRs. Unfortunately, they're not for sale. AMD seems to be giving them to people at extreme-overclocking events.

CooLWoLF

Distinguished

I am oc'ing right now though with a 95watt TDP. 2.3-->2.7ghz @ 1.39 volts.

Any chance those new 95watt PII's will be black editions? One thing I have learned is this mobo does not respond well to fsb adjusting.