Sign in with
Your question

I need some HELP Building a new PC (Thanks in Advance)

Last response: in Systems
April 14, 2009 5:52:26 AM

Hello everyone, i've been reading this forum for few days / weeks now and learning how to build a new system for gaming purpose.
Things are totally different since the last time i built my own computer and i am very lost.
After reading Proximon's guide in this same Section of the Forum i wrote down some parts that i think would best fit my needs.

I am looking forward to using this Build totally for gaming, lets say having Msn or Skype running at the sametime and maybe downloading a movie not much multitasking.

Note : Will only need USB for the phone and maybe a joystick
No need for soundcard (integrated is more than ok)
Highly considering overcloking if needed.

So here is what i wrote down, let me know what you think and where i can improve.
(I am on a flexible budget and i will be buying in a month or two).

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor

MotherBoard
AMD 790FX, preferably with 16x PCI Express and up to 8gb of Ram.

Case
Full Tower looks pretty expensive so i would consider a Mid tower maybe up to $100usd.

PowerSupply
After reading Proximon's guide i would go for the best for my computer.

CPU Cooling (not a clue) **Help**

Video Card (Prefer ATI)
Anything from $400 and below still flexible can be higher if worth it.

Monitor (Solved) up to $200

So what you guys think?
Thanks in Advance!!!!

More about : building advance

April 14, 2009 6:19:02 AM

strosdegoz said:
Hello everyone, i've been reading this forum for few days / weeks now and learning how to build a new system for gaming purpose.
Things are totally different since the last time i built my own computer and i am very lost.
After reading Proximon's guide in this same Section of the Forum i wrote down some parts that i think would best fit my needs.

I am looking forward to using this Build totally for gaming, lets say having Msn or Skype running at the sametime and maybe downloading a movie not much multitasking.

Note : Will only need USB for the phone and maybe a joystick
No need for soundcard (integrated is more than ok)
Highly considering overcloking if needed.

So here is what i wrote down, let me know what you think and where i can improve.
(I am on a flexible budget and i will be buying in a month or two).

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor

MotherBoard
AMD 790FX, preferably with 16x PCI Express and up to 8gb of Ram.

Case
Full Tower looks pretty expensive so i would consider a Mid tower maybe up to $100usd.

PowerSupply
After reading Proximon's guide i would go for the best for my computer.

CPU Cooling (not a clue) **Help**

Video Card (Prefer ATI)
Anything from $400 and below still flexible can be higher if worth it.

Monitor (Solved) up to $200

So what you guys think?
Thanks in Advance!!!!

Well i think one thing you should address is your total budget. i see you have a budget for the gpu, but maybe could you include a total system budget or range? Also, are you a solid AMD guy? AMD has much cheaper processor's at this point, but i am not sure how they rank in performance compared to the i7 and the older intel quad cores.

I probably shouldn't try and give you any help because i am also in my own forum (on Tom's Hardware) trying to get help with my build :D  . I am doing an intel-based build so i have done no research on AMD. Anyways, good luck with your build and hopefully you can get some better help on here. There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people!
April 14, 2009 6:38:58 AM

Well since you are also building a pc then you should really take a look at this thread
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/257075-13-guide-cho...

I am just an AMD guy never liked Intel since back in the days and in the review above says that the Phenom II is worth it.

My total budget would go all the way up to $1400 that would be the most or even way too high.

Thanks for the input. :) 
Related resources
April 14, 2009 8:16:50 AM

drop the 940 and either pay the extra and get a 955 or save some cash and get a 720.

the am2+ P2's have lower HT's which slow them down considerably.

for a video card, on a $399 budget get a 4870 X2 or a 4890 and CF later.
April 14, 2009 3:24:39 PM

Thanks a lot for the help Helloworld_98 but i can't seen to find the 955, can you give me a link?

I will update my list on the Video Card!!!!
April 14, 2009 3:37:53 PM

Edit : i found the CPU, its supposed to come out the 20th this month.
I am going for that one, is ok to remain with the same motherboard? the 790FX?
April 18, 2009 3:21:25 AM

any more input???
April 18, 2009 4:00:14 AM

Go for the 790gx chipset, its almost as good and costs less. Make sure its a MB that supports DDR3 memory (AM3 socket, not AM2+)
April 18, 2009 4:14:52 AM

Whats the difference between AM3 and AM2+ and doesn't that depends on the CPU, i am going to get the new AMD thats coming out later on this month.

And for the MB whats the difference in price? if its just few dollars i rather to get the better one.

Thanks
April 18, 2009 4:41:49 AM

Its usually like $40-50 price difference between 790gx and 790fx. AM3 uses DDR3, AM2+ uses DDR2.
April 18, 2009 4:43:41 AM

I read all around that DDR3 is a waste of money!!!!
Because your system won't get to use all of it.
Thats why i chose DDR2, what am i missing?
April 18, 2009 5:02:38 AM

DDR3 is a waste of money on the LGA 775 platform, not on the AM3 or i7 platform. AMD chips and the i7 have integrated memory controllers and so they can make better use of this memory. Also going with the AM3 chipset will give you more upgrade options later on for better PII processors when they come out, the AM2+ chipset will only support a few AM3 processors that come out this year, none after that. If you want to upgrade the CPU later without replacing the MB, then you will probably want a chip that comes out in like a year or two from now, not another one that comes out in 2009. DDR3 isn't all that more expensive than DDR2 now, the price has come down a lot and so I think its worth it now.

This is the MB that I think you should go with:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

DDR3 Ram:
or
April 18, 2009 5:20:22 AM

Ok, this looks good im going to update my list, how come the rams are cheaper than the DDR2 that i had in my list?
Between is this board Crossfire ready?

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, since im going to buy this in a month or two is way better they way you are telling me, but i still don't understand why the rams are so cheap.
April 18, 2009 5:55:31 AM

Another thing i read a review about the ram memory the guy said "not Noob friendly"
how the hell can the ram be noob or not noob friendly i remember just installing them and that would do. Now we have heat sink even for the ram :S
April 18, 2009 6:31:40 AM

You just have to look around for good deals, they are out there. Newegg puts items on special every once in a while to get them moving. The price is right on those OCZ reapers, I would be very tempted. On the ram noob-friendlyness, sometimes ram needs to have its settings manually configured in the bios instead of them just working right off the bat. It takes about 20 seconds to do, you just need to enter in the values that the manufacturer set. Some people just don't know how to do that.
April 18, 2009 6:46:33 AM

Ok i could easily do that, it sounded like it was something more advanced.
Thanks a lot for the help, i appreciate it a lot!!!!

Few more tweaks and i will be ready :) 
!