Sign in with
Your question

Getting antsy for 64bit,should i get vista with windows 7 upgrade?

Last response: in Components
July 18, 2009 4:16:40 PM

I am currently running windows xp with 4gb ram, and i have 4gb still in the package awaiting windows 7. I'm getting a little impatient though,I was thinking of buying vista with the windows 7 equivilant upgrade, so i can know now which programs i have will run and whichg will not. I'm concerned about nero 7 premium,freelancer,freespace2,zone alarm and my various video converters specifically,any suggestions?
July 18, 2009 6:12:47 PM

Nero and ZA should be fine. Freelancer and Freespace 2 seem to be hit and miss, though people have definitely got them running. See here. Keep in mind that for games, you can always set up dual-boot or possibly virtual machines. As far as video converters, everyone does that, so there is always something available.

Edit: Also, +10 for FS2! It makes me immensely sad to have no FS3 10 years later. It could be so amazing on today's hardware. R.I.P. space combat.
July 18, 2009 6:34:40 PM

The graphics are nice; a definate improvement over xp. But my basic vista version didn't qualify for the upgrade program.
Related resources
July 18, 2009 6:35:56 PM

delete
a c 209 $ Windows 7
July 18, 2009 7:19:34 PM

You can download and install the Windows 7 Release Candidate now and test everything out, then purchase and install the retail version when it comes out in October. The Release Candidate is very solid and it seems like a lot of folks are using it as their primary system until the retail version is available.
July 18, 2009 8:02:30 PM

spinny said:
Nero and ZA should be fine. Freelancer and Freespace 2 seem to be hit and miss, though people have definitely got them running. See here. Keep in mind that for games, you can always set up dual-boot or possibly virtual machines. As far as video converters, everyone does that, so there is always something available.

Edit: Also, +10 for FS2! It makes me immensely sad to have no FS3 10 years later. It could be so amazing on today's hardware. R.I.P. space combat.

LOL, I thought i was the only one who still played those games, I have starlancer, freelancer, freespace 1 and 2,and I too was hoping for a freespace 3, or freelancer 2, hopefully someone will bring them back, not really into fp shooters like most.
!