Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

System build

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 14, 2009 9:07:16 AM

Hi there,
This will be my first system build and I have spent hours researching parts to suit my needs but am so new to this I need some help and would be grateful for ANY tips/suggestions. I am not a gamer but run several programs at once and want a fast, multi-tasking system. Also watch TV and videos on my PC.
Could you advise on this spec:
Coolermaster RC-330 (has one fan -- is that enough?)
Giga-byte mobo: GA-G41M-ES2L(it's new with built-in sound and graphics and cheap £57.27 at Scan UK)
Intel quad core: Q8200
CPU COOLER: Arctic cooling freezer 7pro
RAM: 2x2GB 1066 Corsair DDR2
Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB
Corsair 520w PSU
Compro Videomate TV Tuner E800F
Sony BDU-X108 Blu-Ray reader
Many thanks.
Ostrich3

More about : system build

April 14, 2009 10:15:39 AM

What programs do you typically run?
What's your budget?
Do you want to overclock?
How long do you want the pc to last?
I would probably add an intake fan or two.
April 14, 2009 12:28:20 PM

Coolermaster RC-330 (has one fan -- is that enough?)

Yes, you can always add another fan on the front if you like.
Related resources
April 14, 2009 1:13:30 PM

1 exhaust fan is enough for a stock pc. Now your pc doesn`t even have a modern gpu. If the pc is in an ac-ed enviro, you can get away with no fan other than the cpu & psu ones.

The psu is overkill for onboard video, but it`s quality and will last a long while.

You going to do DVI or HDMI
April 14, 2009 1:16:42 PM

Welcome to the forums!

That's a pretty good budget build!
You might want to add a DVD burner.
No video card?
April 14, 2009 2:11:21 PM

Better cooler - Xigmatek HDT S-1283V.
April 14, 2009 2:40:52 PM

affinitydesigns said:
What programs do you typically run?
What's your budget?
Do you want to overclock?
How long do you want the pc to last?
I would probably add an intake fan or two.



Many thanks for replying, I really appreciate it! I am trying to build a budget system, and I would like the PC to last a couple of years (I bought an over-the -counter one two and half years ago and I've already had to replace the optical drive and I have a suspicion more and possible worse, is going to follow! Do you know if the sound and graphics on this board is sufficient -- for a non-gamer, that is?
thanks,
Robin
April 14, 2009 2:42:32 PM

evongugg said:
Welcome to the forums!

That's a pretty good budget build!
You might want to add a DVD burner.
No video card?

Thanks for replying -- much appreciated. Do I need a video card if there is on-board graphics? I'm not a gamer.
cheers,
Robin
April 15, 2009 9:06:01 AM

If you're not going to game then an onboard video card should be okay.
You could also take the PSU down to the corsair 500W unless you plan on overclocking.

If you give me a price to try to stay around, what you need (ie. OS, Monitor, Keyboard, mouse, HDD, etc), and what programs you run most often, I can help much more effectively.
April 15, 2009 10:58:58 AM

affinitydesigns said:
If you're not going to game then an onboard video card should be okay.
You could also take the PSU down to the corsair 500W unless you plan on overclocking.

If you give me a price to try to stay around, what you need (ie. OS, Monitor, Keyboard, mouse, HDD, etc), and what programs you run most often, I can help much more effectively.


Hi there, thanks so much for your help! I am on a pretty limited budget actually, and my original spec goes way over. I also don;t think I need all that power if I'm not gaming. I do some java programming, advanced Excel with big spreadsheets and I will also be running mathcad. And as mentioned I watch TV and videos on my pC. I also surf the net, email etc and use skype. I wanted something around£500 which is about $734. I'm not planning on overclocking and as you can guess this is my first build and I haven't a clue! I have a monitor that is ok but will get a new keyboard and mouse -- theyr'e really cheap anyway. I also have to get Vista because I only Windows XP and I had thought of getting 64 bit Vista if I go to 4gb ram. But I know windows 7 will come out soon so I don;t want to spend too much money on Vista if I'm going to want to move to windows 7. So I need everything except a monitor. i can't even use the current case I have because it's so crappy!
Once again, many thanks. Any help appreciated.
robin
April 15, 2009 1:21:54 PM

I don't care for the Q8xxx CPUs. Of all the computer parts one might buy, that seems to be just the sort that would make you kick yourself in six months for not getting better. What does the e8500 cost where you are? It's a little higher here, but performs [notably] better in most things, and could always be upgraded to a Q9550 later when those get cheaper and more multi-core apps are out.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=55&p2=52
Another option is a Phenom II X3 720. Performance is similar (except in Excel though: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=83&p2=52), and it is $30 cheaper here, and the integrated graphics you'd get on a 780G board is superior to the IGP on an Intel board.
April 15, 2009 1:33:47 PM

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$59.95


Processor:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
$314.98 w/ OS


OS-
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
$314.98 w/ CPU


Heatsink:
ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$21.99


Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$128.99


RAM:
G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$49.99


Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with

Core i7 Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$89.99 ($20 Mail in rebate)


Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$54.99


DVD-ROM:
LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW

48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$20.99


Total: $742 ($722 after rebates)
April 15, 2009 8:56:01 PM

This is a fantastic build and I really loved the look of the CPU and motherboard. However, we don;t have Newegg or it's equivalent here (I loved the Vista and CPU bundle) and costing the build with Scan - which gives about the cheapest in the UK, came to £677.54 ($1,015.99 )excluding the G.Skill RAM which they don't have but which I can get from somewhere else. I can possible clip the odd pound off here and there if I shop around but then I start paying extra for carriage costs, and so it's cheaper if I buy from one place. This price included the expensive premium Vista by the way. I cannot believe how cheaply you can buy components over there -- unbelievable! Have you any other ideas about cutting costs?
Many thanks for your help thus far.
Robin
April 16, 2009 8:05:37 AM

Onus said:
I don't care for the Q8xxx CPUs. Of all the computer parts one might buy, that seems to be just the sort that would make you kick yourself in six months for not getting better. What does the e8500 cost where you are? It's a little higher here, but performs [notably] better in most things, and could always be upgraded to a Q9550 later when those get cheaper and more multi-core apps are out.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=55&p2=52
Another option is a Phenom II X3 720. Performance is similar (except in Excel though: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=83&p2=52), and it is $30 cheaper here, and the integrated graphics you'd get on a 780G board is superior to the IGP on an Intel board.


Hi there,
Many thanks for this. I found this really useful especially the anandtech.com site which I didn;t know about. I am constrained by price(I'm a student) and for some reason, UK prices seem dearer than US prices (why am I surprised? You guys are probably building the stuff over there and we're importing them!)
April 16, 2009 9:50:57 AM

whats your budget?

also if you can find someone in the C.I. who you can ask for them to buy it ex vat and then send it to you and you pay them back. It ends up being about £35 above ex vat price after shipping , and ex vat price is usually cheaper than in the US.
April 16, 2009 11:10:15 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
whats your budget?

also if you can find someone in the C.I. who you can ask for them to buy it ex vat and then send it to you and you pay them back. It ends up being about £35 above ex vat price after shipping , and ex vat price is usually cheaper than in the US.


Hi,
Thanks for replying -- my budget is £500 because I still have to buy Vista on top of that -- I don;t think I'm going to get a decent build with Vista included in that price. If you read some of the replies -- the Phenom II processor and the gigabyte board suggested to go with it -- look really good, but the Phenom is £172 here (which is a low price compared to some I've spotted on other sites) and £127 or thereabouts for the board (which I really like), so those are the two huge expenses apart from Vista premium for 64bit.
April 16, 2009 11:20:42 AM

which phenom? the 920 or 940?

If you got someone in the C.I. to go through with the order and ship it to you once they get it then you'd save about 13% on your order.

the 940 would be £166 ex vat or the 920 £138 ex vat and the mobo, £110 ex vat. thats a £23 or £51 saving already which is already enough for shipping there and back.
April 16, 2009 11:27:12 AM

Helloworld_98 said:
which phenom? the 920 or 940?

If you got someone in the C.I. to go through with the order and ship it to you once they get it then you'd save about 13% on your order.

the 940 would be £166 ex vat or the 920 £138 ex vat and the mobo, £110 ex vat. thats a £23 or £51 saving already which is already enough for shipping there and back.



I just don;t know anyone in the C.I. to do this for me, and the Phenom mentioned is the 940.
cheers,
Robin
!