Status
Not open for further replies.

maxio99

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I've been using different OSes thru last 20 years but first time I don't know
what is happening with my computer .

Few days ago I decided that I want new Windows 7 . I've downloaded version
RC from torrent and I successfully installed on clean partition (I had another one
with all data files) .
But after sometime (few hours) strange thing is happening . No error nothing but
my disk is very much in use . I closed all applications , look in to task manager - nothing unusual .
CPU usage normal (few %) . After 15 minutes all my icons disappear . All software in start - lost .
Even software/icons in this new thing (i don't remember name - "quick lunch") is lost (icons are blank) .
I tired to restore system - but after few minutes system restarts and there is some error
that windows cannot load because he can't read some files (or files are missing ?) .

Ok I thought this is maybe some kind of nasty Virus . I've decided to do clean installation on clean partitions - I've deleted all partitions , formatted disks , downloaded latest version Windows 7 from MS (burned into DVD) , created new partitions during installation and .... the same thing happened after 30-45 minutes .

So far I've tried 3 times and all with the same result . Do anyone knows what the hell is going on ?
There is no error , nothing is showing up . Just unusual disk usage .
I have dell latitude 9400 laptop .

Please help :??:

With the data you've provided, I would say you have a corrupt file on your Win 7 install disc. I suppose that's better than a hacked/spyware carrying one, but only just.

Since 7 is available directly from Microsoft, I strongly urge you to go to the source.

maxio99

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
And as I mentioned before I thought that too ... so I decided to download directly from MS .
Clean installation , clean partition . formatted disk .
First installation was based on windows from torrent , second and third was on win7 from MS .

Then the next logical step is to check devices/device drivers. Dell are well known (reviled!?!?) for using proprietary hardware/software in their systems. And if that's the case, probably the best you can do at this point is to restore the operating system and drivers that Dell provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.