New to unlocking and overclocking

RD28327

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Hello, got a Phenom II x2 555 CPU. It will unlock via changing settings on the motherboard. Did not change CPU speed. Ran Prime 95 and the system overheated and shutdown. Got up to 84 C. Did overclock at 3.6 GHz as a dual core by changing only the multiplier in the BIOS and is running more stable it seems. Motherboard is a GigaByte 880GM-UD2H. Could use some guidance here in getting the most bang for the buck out of this CPU.

RD28327

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Ran EasyTune6 HW monitor when I ran Prime95 testing as a 3.2 GHz quad. Got up to 84C before shutting down. When running as 3.6Ghz dual, temp got to 74 C under EasyTune6 HW monitor, 66 C under Core Temp. How hot is too hot and is Core Temp a good CPU temp monitor? Seems to run better as a dual core overclocked. As for what I do on the computer, just basic stuff and light gaming on Facebook (Bejeweled Blitz, Zuma Blitz)

60C is to hot, are you using the stock cooler? If so get a better one or stick to stock speeds. If you have a good cooler it must be installed badly. I have a 550BE unlocked and overclocked to 3.7GHz and load temps are just over 50C.

RD28327

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Still using the stock cooler. Until I get a better cooler, what's the best I can get out of this thing.??? The CPU @ 3.2 GHz and unlocked gets wayyyyyy too hot running Prime95. Seems to run fine overclocked @ 3.6 as a dual core. And what do you use for monitoring CPU temps?

kedakari

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Strange. The cooling in your case is bad. I have the same CPU on stock cooling and I never went above 57-58c on full load Unlocked and Over Clocked to 3.5Ghz.

Whats your cooling situation look like?
What kind of fans, how many, and in what direction do they blow?
Are the cables inside your case organized and out of the way of cooling fans?

The CPU you have is 80w the stock AM3 fan is rated up to 125w.
A good tip for cooling is learning about negative pressure setups for cases. The idea with that is to have twice as many fans blowing out air than you do blowing in. That way it eliminates heat circulation and the only air thats coming into your tower is cool air.
having a bunch of fans blowing air into your case will likely just circulate whatever hot air thats inside.
Also having a single direction for airflow is idea. Have air flowing IN from the front and then have it Vented out the back.

I'm 89% sure its a cooling issue.
If it's not the tower cooling, then for sure you did something wrong mounting the CPU cooler.

RD28327

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Could use a good CPU cooler. Any ones in particular that you recommend that's not too big and gonna block my memory slots? Did move a case fan around in side and it has helped cooling some. Haven't really done any serious testing on this.

You should not be having temp issues at 3.6GHz - even with the stock cooler. Your CPU is most likely over-volted.

A 3.6GHz PhII 555 dual core should feel quite snappy. It would not surprise me at 3.6GHz even if you under-volted -0.05v.

You should also raise your IMC/NB from 2000 --> 2400MHz

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
My GB 690GPA board boosted voltage to 1.4 on my 555 unlocked @3.5ghz. But I also installed a V8 cooler beforehand. It never goes above 47-48c. You could select manual voltage settings in BIOS and lower back to 1.35. I would definitely recommend an after market cooler. $20-$30 investment.