AGP X1650 Pro no post, no beeps

chrisz5z

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I upgraded my Geforce4 4200ti to a X1650 pro with no initial problems. I ended up keeping my computer on for a good 3 weeks then finally turned it off, but when i powered it back on the bios did not post. All fans would turn on, hard drives turned on, but no post or beeps. I got error beeps when taking out ram or the video card so i cancelled out my motherboard as being the problem. Also i tried clearing the CMOS with no success. So i put my older video card back in and the computer booted up fine. This lead me to believe it was a PSU issue so i upgraded my PSU but now even with the new power supply its not posting.

CPU: Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Mobo: Abit NF7-S v2.0

PSU Specs:
Corsair VX450w
+3.3V::20A
+5V::20A
+12V::33A

Currently i only have the video card hooked up via 4-pin connector with no other peripherals hooked up to the power. The fan on the video card still turns so it is getting power.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

jennyh

Splendid
It didn't boot with the x1650pro and it did boot with the 4200ti, and you assumed it was a psu problem? :D

Pretty safe to say the x1650pro is broken whether the fan is spinning or not.

chrisz5z

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

Well the X1650 Pro did work before with my older psu. The reason i thought it was the psu was that it wasn't running much power on the +12V rail, and also its about 9 years old. So the only thing i could think of was that it couldn't handle the constant strain of the new video card.

What would cause the card to become defective?

jennyh

Splendid
Anything can happen to break graphics cards. You could have been right and that old psu wasn't quite up to it. Maybe it caused a power surge which broke the card.

It all points to a broken x1650pro though unfortunately. Try it out on a friends pc if you can to make sure.

chrisz5z

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
eh, well all my friend's computers have PCI-Express cards, so I'm not able to test it on another system.

From what i've read, getting the card RMA'd with Sapphire is way too much hassle. So I'll just save up and upgrade my major components. I think using the extra $60 it would cost to replace the video card would be better put towards a new setup.

I appreciate everybody's replies :)