Phenom II X3 not OCing well

cloaknsmoke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Ok, so I have had this CPU for about a year now, and I had a POS mobo that really didn't give me much freedom to do anything. I recently got an ASUS M4A87TD EVO and it gives me much more freedom as well as socket AM3. So I decided to see what the processor could do. I have an ARCTIC COOLING ALPINE64 92mm CPU Cooler, which I know isn't the best, but it should do a decent job I think. Anyway, since I have a BE processor, I just raised the multiplier and then voltages getting stable clocks at each .5x increment with Prime95. My problem now is that the voltage has reached 1.5V which it seems is necessary for 3.5GHz. Temps still don't exceed 60 degrees, but I am seriously hesitant to raise it even more. I really don't even want it that high. So my question is, should I just back off, is is ok to keep going, is the culprit potentially something else, and anything else you might have to say. BTW ambient temperature is around 75 degrees F.

cloaknsmoke

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Oh another thing. I hear raising the NB voltage doesn't make a difference when OCing via multiplier which makes perfect sense, but say I want to OC my NB-CPU. What would be a safe voltage for that?