MutatedGamer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hey, if you've saw my post on my fried motherboard you'd understand why I'm scared to OC, but want to.

Bascially, I had a stable overclock for an i7 860 with a Corsair H50 cooler inside of an NZXT M59 case. Then about a few months later when rendering my first video in adobe premiere(I was trying it out, I used sony vegas), my pc turned off and smoke came out of my PC. Turns out, the motherboard was fried.

I go out to get another motherboard and case, and wind up getting an Asus motherboard and a CM Hyper 212+ cooler, all to go inside my brand new CM HAF 932 case. I build it, and everything's working fine, but I still didn't overclock.

So, i7 869, CM Hyper 212+, CM HAF 932 case. Current temps are idle: 25C, prime95: 40-45C.

Should I overclock, and what to? :(

Solution
well that was probably why your old board fried, 10 - 15 mins is not long enough using prime95. there are varying opinions on how long to run prime, i leave mine over nite so between 8 - 12 hours. some people say that 24 hours is needed.

i personly run it for a long period of time as i dont want any componants frying.

not going above 45c is good for intel burn, so you clearly have scope for overclocking.

the best way to overclock i have found is
- search the internet for overclocking results to get an idea of your proccessor and what to aim for ( remember all cpu's are different)
- work out the max temps and voltages for your chip (do not exceed them)
- overclcok gradualy changing individual settings so you can work out what...

coleman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
i would say overclock, just make sure you test for stability and keep a close eye on the temps (very close eye). how long did you leave prime running on the system that fried?

what software are you using to monitor the temps?

be resonable and not to optamistic, you will be fine

(if you realy want to find the mex temp of your overclock use intelburn test, you can be sure your system is stable if it survives the test. apparently intel use it when testing there processors)

MutatedGamer

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

On the motherboard that fried I tested prime95 with my 3.2 OC for about 10-15 mins, and I'm using SpeedFan for temps.

I downloaded IntelBurn from http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197835 and ran a standard test and temps not reaching above 45C.

coleman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
well that was probably why your old board fried, 10 - 15 mins is not long enough using prime95. there are varying opinions on how long to run prime, i leave mine over nite so between 8 - 12 hours. some people say that 24 hours is needed.

i personly run it for a long period of time as i dont want any componants frying.

not going above 45c is good for intel burn, so you clearly have scope for overclocking.

the best way to overclock i have found is
- search the internet for overclocking results to get an idea of your proccessor and what to aim for ( remember all cpu's are different)
- work out the max temps and voltages for your chip (do not exceed them)
- overclcok gradualy changing individual settings so you can work out what setting caused any problems.
- after each setting change run prime for 30 mins monitoring the temps using core temp.
- when you reach your goal or can not run prime with out errors back the settings down and run prime overnite or while at work.

also look at cpu-z good bit of software to see proccessor setings.

these are the steps that i took, when i had finished my overclock i then posted my bios settings up for the pros to look at and comment.

hope this helps

Solution

TRENDING THREADS