Pleassse help xfx nforce 750i extreme edition

spixel

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
This has to be the most useless motherboard Ive ever used. Wont even overclock an e8400 to 3.1ghz. Has around 4 options in bios, intel speedstep is completley screwed, no temp readings. If I do any benchmarks on pcwizard or everest it says the result is too low to be shown.

My only chance of salvaging this board is to try the bios update. Its an ISO file. Ive burned it onto a blank cd like XFX says and rebooted the pc. It loads windows 98, then goes onto a screen which displays

CDROM device driver for IDE (Four Channels Supported)
© Copyright Oak Technology Inc. 1993-1996

Driver version : V340
Device Name : xfx001

No drivers found, aborting installation.

Then aload of other random stuff about no ide drive abort or retry. Whats the fastest and easiest way to update the bios? I dont have a floppy drive. Been looking around the net but cant find a proper step by step way to update bios from a cd with a bootable iso.

Please help before I put a hammer through this mobo :D

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Haven't seen that Oak driver in a decade - it used to be installed by early windows on DOS diskettes it created to allow CD drives to be read to install Windows from. Can't see it being needed to boot from a CD since your BIOS supports CD boot without it. Might try copying the files from the CD, editing config.sys to remove the driver, re-create the ISO and try it that way.

Does the BIOS allow you to update it from within the BIOS? If so, use that and point it to the CD. If it can't read the CD, copy the update file to a USB RAM drive or the 1st partition of your hard drive and look there from the BIOS.

I know there are processes to create bootable USB RAM drives. Do that, put the BIOS files on it, set it as boot device, etc...

A couple things to try at least.