Sign in with
Your question

Asus Formula iii Phenom 1095t First time oc

Last response: in Overclocking
January 9, 2011 5:24:12 PM

Hi all,

so i've just bought a new online and it will be here within 2 weeks. I'm really edging to oc it and have read several articles although havent managed to find something that has matched my rig. I've read the sticky on this forum abt ocing and amd's although i'm the kind of person that needs step by step instructions. This pc is my baby and i'm going to be paying it off for a while so i really cant afford to play around with it.

the specs are as follows:

XFX ATI Radeon 6950 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

AMD Phenom II X6 Six Core 1090T Black Edition 3.20GHz (Socket AM3)

NZXT Phantom Enthusiast Full Tower Case - White

Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX (Socket AM3) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard

Seagate Momentus XT 500GB Hybrid SATA-II 2.5" 7200RPM 32MB

Corsair TX 750W ATX SLI Compliant Power Supply

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev B CPU Cooler

Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit

Now i chose the parts myself based on research and mostly intuition for my price range, and i'm fairly sure I can hit quite a nice clock speed with that beasty megahalem(or so i've read). I dont care about overclocking the gpu, i just want some kick ass cpu speeds. I'm looking for a 24/7/365 overclock, something thats stable and that I can rely on without ever having to worry about the system being overloaded.

I need some direction, some advice on were to start and could really use any suggestions that you experienced blokes may have to offer.

Regards,

Jean-Michel Azzopardi

a b À AMD
a c 292 K Overclocking
January 9, 2011 8:31:46 PM

Hi Jean-Michael and welcome to Tom's forum.

Good rig and solid specs, Why you don't go with the CH IV?.

The 1st thing that you need keep in mind is the cooler installation, and the TIM application method, check the following link to know how's the best way to apply the TIM to you cooler and CPU. http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

What method I use? I apply the thermal grease to the CPU and use a old credit or debit card to cover all CPU with the thermal grease, after that I install the cooler.

When your components arrive, let me know and we can start to overclock, you learn this thing on the way and with the practice, not while your components arrive.
January 10, 2011 2:01:25 AM

what EXACTLY are you covering in thermal grease, just the cpu not the case or any other parts right!?!?
Related resources
a b À AMD
a c 292 K Overclocking
January 10, 2011 4:17:50 PM

Correct, just the CPU. Nothing more or you can have a electrical short and kill your components.
January 10, 2011 9:25:04 PM

hi guys its jeanaz1989,

thanks for the thermal paste hint although my query was regarding ocing techniques
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
January 10, 2011 11:02:48 PM

Check out the BE sticky for a few OC tips --- otherwise, I can help you if you are interested in using the system clock.

17x240MHz might work well for you :D 
!