HIS Radeon 4830

Hal9000_38

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Ok, first post so here goes. I have 2 HIS Radeon HD 4830s. They normaly run in crossfire on a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 motherboard. recently i began to have problems when the grpahics set up decided to display red squares and white dots in a horizontal line at startup, this seemingly only happens on cold boots as it never happens if the machine has been run at any point in the day. I understand this is normally symptomatic of dying hardware so i went about trying to find out which bit was faulty by removing the second graphics card and only running one, this seemed to work until i looked at the GPU temp which was 70c at idle and went to about 108c under load at which point the machine reset. so i put the other GPU in the first slot and it ran fine with normal working temps. Problem solved i thought but this morning i booted the machine only to be greated with red squares again (i think these are known as artifacts?). So does this mean i have one faulty GPU and faulty motherboard, or 2 broken GPUs? i just dont know anymore. Any help would be very much appreciated. I have run memtest and memory is coming up as having no errors.

Other system components are:-
AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 6400
Corsair 4GB DDR2 PC2-6400C5 ram
Gigabyte Odin Pro 550W power supply

gxpbecker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Hmm sounds like a dying Mobo. It would seem like you PCI bus is having some issues with either controling fan speeds or just a dying chipset. It could also even be a Powersupply issue and even a ram issue (not much help i know).

First thing first, how is the air circulation in your machine? You may have a heating problem or just poor airflow. That CPU is a power/heat producer so that could be your issue.

Then again, back to the PSU, you may not have enough umph in your powersupply. With that cpu, dual vid cards and a power hunger ram/mobo set up you are probably maxing out your PSU, which would make sense with your symptoms. ANY time SLI or Xfire is used at least go with 650 (750w corsairs are my favorite for dual mid ranged gpus).