Intel Core i5 650 overclocking potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I have an Intel Core i5 650 3.2GHz Dual-Core processor with HT enabled. I recently used the auto-overclock setting in the BIOS and overclocked it to 3.61GHz using my Coolermaster Hyper 212+, however it was too unstable so I had to lower down to 3.5GHz in the BIOS.

I got steady temps at idle when I was OC'ing to 3.61GHz (30 degrees centigrade) and at load it was around 50 I do believe. However, it would still crash and my computer would randomly reboot. I need to know something... is it generally better to overclock the CPU manually instead of auto settings? Also, what SHOULD my CPU be able to be overclocked to using my Hyper 212+ heatsink?

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Overclock manually. Auto overclock tools often don't set voltages to good settings. They either set the voltage too high resulting in more heat and wear than necessary, or set the voltages too low resulting in instability. There are plenty of OC'ing guides out there for you to learn the details if you're not already familiar with the procedure.

With a Hyper 212+ you should be able to get at least 4.0GHz, possibly 4.5GHz or better, depending how aggressively you increase voltages.

gliterman

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

The problem is the Memory Frequency even when you select 1333 normally when you raise the bus, your ram frequency raises too (lower it and raise the latencies if not auto, I think that will be better), I had the same problem with my Q6600 not getting over 3,2 and now I'm at 3,4Ghz and if I had good temps my Quad would raise with 3,96 Ghz :O with a single Asus P5k :)

Tell us your results! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.