Sign in with
Your question

Uses for Tablets?

Tags:
Last response: in Toms Network
December 2, 2011 1:18:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of tablets and what a person can do with them. So far they sound user specific depending on the tablet you want (business, games, apps). To me all I see is a toy for a person that wants to play with apps, listen to music, get on the net, or play some games with the mobility of a smaller device than a laptop (practically a smart phone right?).

I guess the biggest question I have is what kinds of applications can you share between PCs and tablets. From what I understand there isn't a usage for microsoft office programs on a tablet. So what If I want to make a spreadsheet of something and comparable graphs. Lets say maybe a program like Quicken. Is there something that can be shared with the tablet and PC or is it only machine specific software?

Would I have the functionality to connect to remote servers, provided I have a wifi or 3/4G connection to download files? What about a remote desktop?

Any clarification or if anyone has a great reference to help answer some questions would be appreciated. I think they look neat but I can't see a use for them myself, and I think I'm trying to see if I'd ever have one how would it benefit me?

More about : tablets

December 5, 2011 12:17:01 AM

There are office program (not made my MS) to work with MS Office files for Android tablet. There are also apps for remote server and desktop.

However I would wait for Window 8 tablet for a tablet to use for office productivity because of the familiarity of OS for the job and product support.
December 5, 2011 4:29:40 PM

I have some different hobbies that I would find a tablet useful but I feel it would be pretty unique situation. I'd like to save data and be able to see different graphs for comparison. This is why I thought excel might be nice to be mobile on a small device. Is there an app for this, or an easy programming software like visual basic that I could program something for my unique situations, or an app that provides the user to kind of program for there unique situation? What's the difference between an app and a program?

They seem to be advancing so quickly that it makes me wonder why anyone would even try to get one until way later.
Related resources
December 6, 2011 10:03:57 PM

app, program is the same thing. But a "program store" sounds horrible. App = Application = Program = Software = whatever else is the same thing.

You can get excel and probably tons of other graphing programs for tablets. As long as you don't need to do any major typing or heavy CPU or Video use, a tablet is just fine. They are more for consumers than for creators. Meaning you can sure as heck watch a pretty video on it, but would not use it to make one. You can play a silly flash game on one, but would be much harder to program one on it.
December 9, 2011 2:22:20 AM

I've never had a smart phone. I haven't felt the need for one nor felt the need to spend the extra monthly charges on one. So where do you go to get apps or preview apps specifically for tablets? Maybe If i find apps/programs worth using then I could see if the tablet would be worth investing in.

windows 8 tablets probably won't be around till a few years will they?
December 9, 2011 2:29:12 AM

For Android, you get them from Android Market place.

I suggest you go to a phone shop where they sell tablets and try it thoroughly and even rent it to test its full functionality to see if they met your requirement and expectation before buying.
December 9, 2011 3:51:58 PM

fish_86 said:
I've never had a smart phone. I haven't felt the need for one nor felt the need to spend the extra monthly charges on one. So where do you go to get apps or preview apps specifically for tablets? Maybe If i find apps/programs worth using then I could see if the tablet would be worth investing in.

windows 8 tablets probably won't be around till a few years will they?

If you run or manage a business, a smart phone/tablet can be amazing. They are very handy for email also, texting, etc... They are also great instant bet settlers as you have internet capability to look anything up. The apps you download from various "stores" that come pre-installed on them, or you can get them from the developers web pages. Some are very handy, like product price comparison, you scan a bar code and you can get prices right there so you can tell if Best Buy is ripping you off (usually :lol:  ), if you have hobbies you can have tons of things online for it, can watch videos, boredom is pretty much eliminated with a smart phone.
January 5, 2012 12:35:10 PM

Tablets suck for most business applications. The smaller the business, the better a tablet can become since it is really for an individual. If you want to use them for a medium size or large business, good luck, you'll have a headache.

They're still trendy.. but few tablets are business grade (for a reason). Most are consumer grade and the few that are business cost more than laptops. Financially, doesn't make sense. Productivity, doesn't make sense either. Pay more for less and then you get a touch screen and no keyboard (unless you want to buy that).

Many tablets currently do not support VPN connections such as Cisco AnyConnect either. I believe Samsung is the only tablet that currently supports it. Business use, throw them out the window and save the headache. Maybe Win8 will change that but I'm not counting on it.
January 5, 2012 5:29:33 PM

iPad supports VPN, we use it at where I work, also for RDP and Virtual Desktops. Being used by lots of doctors, and is good now because many hospitals are going towards full electronic medical records so there are no paper charts around. Can use a tablet to pull up info from just about any application.
January 9, 2012 12:14:24 PM

iPads also require iTunes which a vast majority of security conscience companies will not allow on their network. In addition to the iPads, the Casper Suite is fairly expensive, requires extensive holes in a firewall, and overall Mac products are overall hard to provide support.

As far as doctor's, they are considered the cash crop for hospitals/private practice and will get anything and everything they want, even after a major security issue. Do you want your personal medical records associated with some doctor's iPad and not have any idea how that is being secured? Last time I checked private practices didn't have an IT staff. Hospitals on the other hand do but the iPad really needs to be used with a Citrix server or RDP. At that point you may as well provide a laptop for the same expense if not less.

They have their place... that is in the consumer market. Very limited role in a business environment that is larger than a handful of people.
January 9, 2012 3:40:09 PM

They don't keep an info on the iPads, they use remote sessions to start virtual Windows. Security has gone over this pretty well. The are also setup with encryption pins and remote wipe capability.
January 9, 2012 5:17:28 PM

Yeah, the security firewall holes are a bigger concern. Foreign entities are currently exploiting the new buzz about tablets to hack a lot of companies. In the last 6-8 months there has been a big spike in successful hack attempts, many of them revolving around tablets in the work environment.
!