Sign in with
Your question

Cant access partition or format

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 19, 2010 1:57:58 PM

Hi

I had a problem long ago and therefore cant remember details, but... have a Seagate something something 160g, all i remember is that something went wrong and put the HDD in a friends PC to format and reinstall XP, it wouldnt do anything. Next day i put it back im my PC and was able to make a partition of 100g and installed win 7 everything works fine, but still cant do anything with the partition, cant acces it it says needs to be formatted, cant format either, 7 months down the line i need the space.

1) What's the cause?
2) How can it be fixed?

Thanks for your time and in advance for your help
a b G Storage
November 24, 2010 12:04:15 PM

Disk manufacturers offer free HDD tools on their websites. go to Seagate's site and see if there is such a tool there that you could use on that HDD.
November 27, 2010 8:22:04 AM

Thanks, its so obviuos to try there, didnt even think of it. Ok, im downloading Seatools and DiskWizard come back to you on that, as for the sight (Seagate) I learned quite a bit, thanks.
Related resources
November 28, 2010 5:44:43 AM

I used a program called seatools for DOS (check and repair sectors), it found 15 errors and the test returned "failed", so it cant fix the HHD, but very good program to use.
a b G Storage
November 28, 2010 8:01:22 PM

You're welcome, sorry to hear that the disk is out.
November 29, 2010 3:21:54 AM

na its ok and something good came out of this..... I learnt :D 
Thanks again
!