Sign in with
Your question

Sporadic Voltages CPU and MEM Athlon 64 X2 5000+/A-Data 2x1GB DDR2 800

Last response: in Overclocking
January 10, 2011 12:30:19 AM

Here's the perceived problem I am having as viewed from BIOS:
-Processor is running @ 1.39V, even though I set the voltage to default. (Idle temps around 25-29, load around 50).
-Memory is running at 1.9+ volts even though its set @ 1.8.
-I attempted to lower the CPU voltage to the next lowest setting and ended up under 1.35v.
-12v is running about 11.6v.

Any ideas whats going on here? Is my power supply going out on me? The system appears to run very cool and stable, I've been playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Black Ops without issue for about a month. I am using:
Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 (REV 1), *F5 BIOS*
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6 GHz,
2 x 1GB DDR2 800 Dual channel memory,
650Watt BFG Tech PSU with 2 12V rails @ 20amps each,
Thermaltake Soprano Case With:
-2 120mm case fans (one up front drawing in, one in back blowing out)
-1 90mm case fan on side window, drawing air in directly onto the A70.
- Corsair A70 processor heatsink with 2 120MM fans/copper heat-pipes
-PNY GeForce GTX 460 1GB
-Windows XP

*All voltages/speeds/settings at default, no overclocking done (yet).
January 21, 2011 2:19:45 AM

Did you manually set the voltages to the components values? Or are all the voltages set to auto in the BIOS?
January 21, 2011 5:26:15 PM

I had not ever changed the voltages on the components by the time this problem arose. It is in fact a pretty acceptable range for the voltage, a good friend of mine gave me a crash-course in chipset/ram/CPU overclocking and we decided that although the board is overvolting, its not doing so excessively and the voltage is stable. If anything it allows a little more headroom for FSB overclocking.

I began with a careful FSB overclock. Stock on this chipset is 200, and my LOCKED CPU multiplier is 13. I went up in increments of 2 running PRIME 95 for about 2hrs until I hit a voltage wall. Seems to be somewhere in the vicinity of 220. I had it all the way up to 228 FSB speed,
and ran Bad Company 2 repeatedly for about an hour before I got a crash and reboot. Adding the smallest allowable voltage increase to my RAM and CPU raised stable FSB speed to 224 but it gets messy beyond that.

The gains were only about 5% increase in frame rates even though there was roughly 8% increase in processor speed, so its not worth it to manually over-volt my components for an increase of 4 in FSB speed. As for the original voltage concerns, I don't think I would be able to push the FSB speed so hard if the board or PSU were really compromised.
!