CPU Temperature Discrepancy Between BIOS and Programs

Bman CO

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
I just finished building a new system, and I noticed something odd about temperature reporting. I am using an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, not overclocked, and a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P mobo. In BIOS, it shows the CPU hovering at around 50C, but in Easy-Tune, Gigabyte's program, it almost always reads 10-15 degrees less, averaging about 35 idle. I downloaded another program, CPUID, and the temperatures were the exact same as the ones in Easy-Tune. I'm wondering what the reason is for this discrepancy, and more importantly, which source should I trust more if one is incorrect.

Bman CO

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

The room temperature is 26.5C. It's a bit hot, but I manage to keep it reasonably cool.

Bman CO

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Though it still seems like that's a pretty big temperature difference, unless that's normal and I've never noticed it before.

randomizer

Champion
It's not really an issue. The BIOS calibrates the output temp, not the program, so all programs should report the same temp. The BIOS reading itself isn't much use though because you can't load up some intensive program while watching the temp rise ;)

Bman CO

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

That makes sense. Thanks :)

Try CoreTemp or HWMonitor ... freebee small monitoring apps that are on the net.

What is important is the temp under a heavy load.

Should be about 15 degrees over ambient at idle with the stock cooler or better - so less than 38ish.

That would mean something like 50 to 58 under load I guess - av across the cores.

always keep an eye on the tempos for a couple of days on a new build.

The retention clips on the Intel boxed coolers are bad news - check all 4 are locked down nicely - if one isn't the temp will rise a bit.

Wish they had a cooler like the cam-lock job on the AMD's ... much easier.

The 9550 will run like a champ at stock voltage with a moderate overclock - easy as pie to get to 3Ghz (Q9650 Territory ... for free).

traveler2530

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
I also just got a EP45-UDP3 to update an EP35-DS3R and noticed the temps as reported by SpeedFan 4.38 are extremely high. I did a 100% move of equipment(Q6600, 8 GB G.Skill 1000(note not 1066) and 6 HDDs. That is, I swapped out the mobo, all else, including the case(Antec Sonata III), are the same.

The temps of the EP45-UD3P are 20C higher than the EP35-DS3R. It sits at about 140F semi idle and goes(went) to 190F-200F under heavy load. Both situations used the stock retail Intel fan I got with the Q6600.

I was worried, so I used the PC little until the next morning I went to the local Fry's (NE Indy) and picked up two extra fans. I also installed another fan for improved intake per Antec's instructions.

With the extra cooling, Speedfan reports about 130F core temps at little use, and goes to 170F high use.

This is still too high, but an improvement.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

TRENDING THREADS