E521 motherboard mushkin ddr2 800 (6400)

G

I am having difficulty getting the mushkin ddr2 800 (6400) memory to post. Any suggestions? Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the Dell Optiplex mobo specs should handle same memory, but no posting either. Please help on either.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Go to the Mushkin site and get the full specs on your RAM, especially noting the voltage - and set the RAM voltage in BIOS to that figure.

If you had other RAM in this system, try setting BIOS to Optimal Defaults or similar.

Try it with a single module. Check motherboard manual to verify which slots to use.

G

After futher investigation, it appears that Dell has locked out the bios mods for RAM voltage. :( .

I believe that any memory at 1.8V (either 667 or 800) should work. Could anyone deny or confirm my thought process on this matter (before I order both and have to deal with the RMA world). Thanks.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I'm guessing the Mushkin wants 2.1V or more?

I cannot confirm, but can predict that 1.8V 800/667 would work fine.

Why not go to one of the RAM mfg sites and use their RAM configurator. I think Crucial, OCZ and more have this feature. You put in your exact motherboard model and they tell you what product to use.

Start here for Crucial
http://www.crucial.com/store/listmodel.aspx?pl=OptiPlex&mfgr=Dell&cat=RAM

Solution