Sign in with
Your question

Newbie Crossfire Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 6, 2009 5:49:17 PM

Heya guys! :bounce: 

Just a quickie newb question that I dont know the answer too. If I use say 4770 in crossfire will both cards be utilized for graphics performance in older games such as Diablo 2, Duke Nukem, StarCraft? Or do the games need to be 'crossfire compatible'?

Thanks for your responses! :hello: 
a c 177 U Graphics card
May 6, 2009 7:34:35 PM

Yes, the game must be written to use CF but frankly, none of those games would tax a HD4770, even at high resoloutions.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2009 7:40:39 PM

High resolution? Diable 2 only supports up to 800*600...

Unless you want to play a game that are relatively new a 4770 in general would be a profound waste of money, crossfire is just beyond silly. In fact, does duke nukem even run in an OS that supports CF... I remember playing it in DOS :| ?

Crossfire will do absolutely nothing for games like that, I wouldnt bother CFing unless you play in DX10 at least... (some dx9 titles can benefit though).
m
l
Related resources
May 6, 2009 7:57:54 PM

daedalus685 said:
High resolution? Diable 2 only supports up to 800*600...

Unless you want to play a game that are relatively new a 4770 in general would be a profound waste of money, crossfire is just beyond silly. In fact, does duke nukem even run in an OS that supports CF... I remember playing it in DOS :| ?

Crossfire will do absolutely nothing for games like that, I wouldnt bother CFing unless you play in DX10 at least... (some dx9 titles can benefit though).

:( 

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cf...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1408025&page=...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2009 2:48:10 AM

old games are actually glitchy with SLi/Xfire.

I had to disable one of my GPUs when playing a game from 1998
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 7, 2009 3:36:52 AM

Yes, and new cards are starting to lose compatibilities with older games too (so weird stuff happens and performance is surprisingly poor).
m
l
May 7, 2009 3:51:23 AM

dude, there's no point of upgrading your graphics with a p3, let alone for those games. lol you can probably get a 4670 and max those games out for a mere $60
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
May 7, 2009 6:09:50 AM

If it's an open GL game the drivers will try to run it in scissor mode no matter what if they don't have a cf profile in the drivers for it. If it's D3D then you best research it (o.k google it) to see what's what.
m
l
!