3 x Samsung 1TB 7200rpm SATA II HD103UJ
1 x Thermaltake DH102 Digital Home Theater Media Case
1 x Intel Core2 Quad Q9650
1 x Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3
1 x Gigabyte GeForce 9800GT SilentCell 1GB
1 x Thermaltake EVO_Blue 750W
1 x Samsung SH-S223B DVDRW OEM
1 x Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2

When the computer powers on the bios displays cpu and ram count, then stops for 1 - 3 seconds, then reboots and does this over and over until it finally boots. maybe 1 in 15 times. the first thing i noticed, is when it succesfully boots, it shows (under ram count) something about the Dual Channel Ram (not an error).

Taking one of the ram sticks out seems to make the computer boot fine.

When it has booted, a few times, windows has blue screened aswell giving me an error about USB IRQ.... is this related?

is this an issue with ram voltage? bios defualted it to 1.8, i read that corsair was supposed to be 2.1, changing this did not fix the reboot loop.

i also noticed the bios had also gimped my CPU, was 8 x instead of 9 x (i think), either way it had set it to 2.83ghz instead of 3ghz

any ideas how i can get the rig going reliably, without taking one of the ram sticks out?
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2009 2:21:00 AM

Read over this thread and follow the links Bilbat posted to other related threads.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263944-30-post-time-b...

Be sure you have chosen Optimized Defaults in the BIOS, then go back and adjust as you wish.

Remove any USB devices before turning on computer to make sure they aren't causing.

Look up your Corsair RAM at their site, getting exact specs for voltage. If it says 2.1V, might try 2.2V to test.
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:35:13 AM

i will try all that, then post results.
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2009 12:42:00 PM

Trying to set ram correctly what does the "2T" mean in 5-5-5-15-2T at 2.1VDIMM
Bios also has other ram voltages set at 0.90V, should i just leave these? (i'm not really looking to overclock this rig)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2009 1:22:49 PM

The 2T is the Command Rate - leave at 2T or don't change it.

For now though, the Auto settings on the RAM timings should be fine. Need to test with simply the 2.1V changed.

No idea about other RAM voltages, nothing should be in the 0.90V range. The default for your board should be 1.8V.

What is your exact model GA-EP45-UD3__ and rev. #
m
l
October 3, 2009 1:33:28 PM

Everything just says GA-EP45-UD3 nothing after it...

the things that are 0.9V are DRAM Termination, Channel A Reference and Channel B Reference

Command Rate is set to auto

Rev: 1.1
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2009 2:06:13 PM

OK, when I search at Gigabyte's site I get:
Socket 775
GA-EP45-UD3L (rev. 1.0), GA-EP45-UD3LR (rev. 1.0), GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.0), GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.1), GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.6), GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1), GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

A program like CPUz from www.cpuid.com is handy for much of the stuff you're doing and should also be able to identify the motherboard exactly.

Oh, the thing it says about Dual Channel on POST might be about "Unganged" - this is normally better than "Ganged" for 2 modules of RAM.

Hope things are going well with the errors!
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 3, 2009 3:38:12 PM

Mongox, you're going to be good at this - I can tell! And you'll find it peculiarly rewarding; not only are most people overjoyed to get some actual support (especially if they've already dealt with GB tech - I have a collection of garbled, nonsensical answer from them), but you'll learn really interestin, and often useful, stuff - just yesterday, I gave someone some advice about 5.1 audio channel setup, when in the process of a bit of research, I learned that RealTek had new drivers available for both my CODEC, and my LAN, that haven't yet been 'picked up' by either MS Update, or GB's driver DL page...

Couple pointers:

Ganged vs. unganged is only an issue for AMD chips; the Intel northbridges automatically 'shift into' dual channel mode, based on discovery of two channels of DIMMS - that's why it's important to follow the manual's directions re placing DIMMs in proper slot pairs. Also, if you ever come across any actual testing of 'ganged vs unganged' (prefferably 'application suite' testing, but at this point, any hard numbers would be a godsend), please - post it! I've seen both ways extolled, but never any numbers!

Excellent place to 'look up' GB MOBOs - it's 'aimed' at 775s, but if you notice, to the left, you can select any socket and get a similar page:
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Produc...

Also, I think you've seen this, but wasn't sure - LSD and his merry band at TweakTown keep this astutely maintained page of testing/overclocking/stressing programs:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/latest-overclocking-pro...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2009 10:33:53 PM

OK, didn't know about the AMD > ganging up.

And thanks! Actually, I've been leaving the Gigabyte stuff mainly to you - been trying to at least post one answer to those not getting replies in the Memory and Gen. Motherboard forums. I may read a few threads with answers but not post, but I try to make sure everyone gets at least a reply that makes sense when the other posters pass one by.

Ya know I've been busy, pushing 500 posts already! Tech/Online has its own pull-down menu from my Netscape now - got a lot of things I refer to a lot or post for others, like the prog list, Wiki's Latency page, PS calculator...
m
l
October 3, 2009 11:59:26 PM

I had a similar problem in my mobo ( ga-ep45-ud3l)..Was a short-circuit..

test the mobo out of the case..if it works, than it is a short-circuit...

m
l
October 4, 2009 1:31:06 AM

The ram message says "Memory Runs as Dual CHannel Interval"

seems i now have new problems....
When bios finally lets the computer boot, it says "loading DMI POOL" and goes to a black screen and gets stuck

when booting from the windows cd it starts to load then i get Blue screened and message is "BAD_POOL_HEADER"
m
l
October 4, 2009 1:48:45 AM

ok windows boots now... seems it was either the ram being at 2.2V or disabling bios recognising USB boot devices
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2009 3:22:47 AM

Never read that much of one of those before!

So... it boots, but is it working? Seems like it's set OK.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 4, 2009 1:55:38 PM

Your 9650 is showing that it is at two-thirds rated speed - do you have it down-clocked, or is it just running the 'green' features, and down-clocking itself?
m
l
October 5, 2009 5:54:17 AM

Nope, not underclocked, bios was restored to defualts (except ram to 2.1V)

System is still having reboot loop issue.

Also has PFN_LIST_CORRUPT now, but i think that was because of a SP 1 for Vista...
m
l
October 5, 2009 6:06:52 AM

got another blue screen... this time IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while trying to re-install vista
m
l
October 5, 2009 6:10:18 AM

i read this could be caused by CPU temp... cpu is at 56C degrees... is this to hot?
m
l
October 5, 2009 6:33:01 AM

dont know if this helps at all.. but if the computer has booted (after 10 - 15 reboots) and it restarts. it seems to boot fine everytime. it seems to only get stuck in reboot loop on a cold boot.
m
l
October 5, 2009 7:26:27 AM

got another bluescreen after finally re-installing vista "PAGED_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA"
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 7:56:53 AM

sigh...

You don't have ANY USB devices plugged in, right?

I'm not up on Intel temps, but 56C should be fine - but seems high for no-load on cpu.

m
l
October 5, 2009 8:41:41 AM

nope, no USB's at all. not even the front usbs are plugged in the mobo...

56 did seem high to me for no load too... i'm just out of ideas...

maybe i should run another mem test? it was noted the cpu was underclocked.... how do i fix this?
m
l
October 5, 2009 12:01:42 PM

used memtest found 886 errors... trying to find out how i can get a log of it so i can post it....
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2009 1:46:34 PM

Heck, 886 errors? Don't bother posting the details!

Test each RAM stick by itself. If one has errors by itself, return it. If both have errors, by itself, return both. If both have errors together, return them both.
m
l
October 5, 2009 11:13:25 PM

althought it seems odd that with 886 errors the computer would function at all...

what settings do i need to change to have my CPU not underclocked?

i will try mem test on a working machine with this ram as well. just to eliminate the mobo.
also try working ram in this system to see the result.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2009 12:00:23 AM

I would think that setting all CPU settings to Auto would fix it, but I'm not an Intel person. Maybe someone else will jump in on that one.

It should run at 3GHz and CPUz shows it running at 2GHz. But I don't know if you should change the multiplier from 6 to 9 or increase the FSB speed.
m
l
October 6, 2009 12:50:36 AM

Quote:
Taking one of the ram sticks out seems to make the computer boot fine.

Run the ram at a lower frequency. Use the stock timings.
m
l
October 6, 2009 12:51:40 AM

That's both sticks at a lower frequency :) 
m
l
October 6, 2009 12:54:49 AM

But if your RAM has all these errors, it's bad ram. Like has been said run memtest with separate sticks of ram.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 6, 2009 1:02:24 AM

A lot of this is 'canned' - so if you've seen parts of it before, skip ahead!

GA-EP45-UD3
Intel Q9650 1333FSB x9.0mult to 3.0 or 3.6 GHz .85-1.3625V
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB...
Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 memory: 5-5-5-15-2t nominal 2.1v
http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWIN2X4096-8500C5D.p...

To get a mild, safe, low-voltage (but noticeable) 20% overclock (assuming anything else but stock cooling), the italicized parameters are all that need be changed...

If you haven't yet done it, put in one stick, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS; notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C2/C2E State Support" to "Disabled"
"C4/C4E State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" - this allows use of Win7's fantastic VirtualXp feature...
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to whichever OS type you're running - "32-bit" if an x86 version, "64-bit" if an x64 version...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto" (I've always loved the name of this one - just sounds cool to me...)
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "9"
"Fine CPU Clock Ratio" to "0"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...

******** Clock Chip Control ********
>>>>> Standard Clock Control

"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enabled"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "334"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "401"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"

******** DRAM Performance Control ********
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)" to "Disabled"
"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" to "333"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "3.20B"
"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" to "400"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "2.66D"

"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" which we mostly refer to as a 'strap', is the reason we used a 334 clock instead of a nice even 333: the 'straps' are sets of northbridge timings - much like memory latencies, the faster you go, the 'looser' the timings have to be... There are four straps, corresponding to the Intel FSB ratings: 200 (800FSB), 266 (1066FSB), 333 (1333FSB), and 400 (1600FSB - Intel actually does make a 1600 FSB CPU - the QX9775 - but, I think, it's over $1500 a pop!); each strap has its own set of available memory multipliers (ratios). The 3.2 we used (which is actually a 8:5 bus to bus ratio) is available only on the 333 strap. Anyway, the strap latencies, for some northbridges, don't 'kick in' until one over the selected strap; so, in other words, setting the clock to 334 guarantees that we're getting the 333 latencies/timings, likewise for 401...

"Memory Frequency (Mhz)" - again, can't be set, it's calculated...
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual" if the following aren't right - they should already be set correctly by the 'Load Optimized'...
"CAS Latency Time" to "5"
"tRCD" to "5"
"tRP" to "5"
"tRAS" to "15"

"Load-Line Calibration" to "Disabled"
"CPU Vcore" to "Auto"
"CPU Vcore" to "1.325V"
"DRAM Voltage" to "+0.3V" or "2.1V" - whichever way it's expressed in your BIOS...

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and I don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Good luck!

Bill
m
l
October 6, 2009 2:54:00 AM

Thanks, will try all this out tonight, and post the results.
m
l
October 6, 2009 7:13:18 AM

this is what happens

Stick 1 in Slot 1 - Computer Won't boot (power on for 2 seconds then switches off)
Stick 2 in Slot 1 - Computer Won't boot (power on for 2 seconds then switches off)
Stick 1 in Slot 2 - Fails Mem Test
Stick 2 in Slot 2 - Fails Mem Test
Stick 1 in Slot 3 - Mem Test Crashes on Stride6
Stick 2 in Slot 3 - Mem Test Crashes on Stride6
Stick 1 in Slot 4 - Mem Test Passed
Stick 2 in Slot 4 - Mem Test Passed
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2009 8:01:05 AM

Well, all that points, for me, to the motherboard being the problem and not the RAM. The odds of two sticks being bad, in exactly the same way, doesn't seem reasonable.
m
l
October 6, 2009 8:11:14 AM

anoter odd thing is the CPU is not underclocked in bios... set to 9x and bios shows it at 3ghz get in easytune 6 it shows it running at 2000mhz even when all boost / green stuff is turned off..
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 6, 2009 12:38:30 PM

Are you making the setting changes directly in the BIOS, or using EasyTune? I don't recommend EasyTune - all in all, it's a buggy, ill-conceived, ill-mannered POC - the only place it seems to work anything like consistently is with the new X58/P55 MOBOs. That said, if you are going to use it, make sure you have the latest (I believe) rev - for ET5, it is B7.1221.1:
http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Utility/motherboa...
for ET5, it is B09.0918.1:
http://asia.giga-byte.com/FileList/Utility/motherboard_...
and be aware that they are pretty much board-specific; if your MOBO shipped with ET5, you can't just 'upgrade' to ET6...
Another possible source of problems is the use/installation of DynamicEnergySaver, though I think you'd know if this were your problem - as soon as you disable the 'green' stuff - "C2/C2E, C4/C4E, and especially EIST - it starts 'bellyaching' at you... If you did install it with the driver set, probably want to nix it...

Please download and run this:
http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet41b4.zip
post the main screen, then click on the SPD button, and post that resultant screen...

You might try another test after making two changes:

"DRAM Voltage" to "+0.35V" or "2.12V" - whichever way it's expressed in your BIOS
and
"MCH Voltage" to "+0.1V" or "1.2V" - whichever way it's expressed in your BIOS
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2009 1:17:22 PM

Ya know, I'm determined not to give up on this.

One thing that bothered me went back to one of my original questions, that is what was the last letter in the model # GA-EP45-UD3__ When you search the Gigabyte site for GA-EP45-UD3 you get the list of choices I showed above, with GA-EP45-UD3 with L and LR and P, etc... But nothing with exactly GA-EP45-UD3. Your CPUz results do show exactly GA-EP45-UD3 and no revision. I don't trust CPUz's "rev #" info, but it does better on the models.
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Search/Search_List.aspx?Key...

I decided I would figure out which one it was by looking at the BIOS revisions - knowing you had F9. So, I open all the pages for the GA-EP45-UD3__'s boards, only 3 versions of one have an F9 - but with a different release date.

Hmmm... So, I plug "GA-EP45-UD3" into Google and search - the "s make it find exactly. Low and behold, there's several links to Gigabyte for the board, one doesn't work, but the others point to a real page on GA-EP45-UD3 and GA-EP45-UD3 Rev 1.1. But they are NOT listed under Giga's normal links - go to socket and then chipset (Intel P45) and you get all the others, no GA-EP45-UD3.
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Produc...

You almost get the feeling that Gigabyte doesn't want to sell this board...

So, I have the pages now:
GA-EP45-UD3 (rev. 1.0)
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Mod...
GA-EP45-UD3 (rev. 1.1)

Which one it is doesn't likely matter ... maybe. Both of these show an F9 with date 2009/04/16 - so it's correct. And there's a mysterious BIOS F9a 2009/09/03 Beta -- normally wouldn't touch a Beta but might be worth looking at.

I go back to the Google search. One of the links is to the OCZ forum.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...
Quote:
I too have ordered a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3, and after reading a ton of reviews reporting compatibility problems with this MBO and a bunch of different types / brands of DDR2 memory, I'm totally concerned.

Anyway, this morning I read a very interesting post about our Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3 MBO's..... It seems that Gigabyte was having a LOT of problems with the first edition of this MBO, which is called GA-EP45-UD3 version 1.0. Since that intial product release, they have made a revision of this MBO, and it is now called GA-EP45-UD3 version 1.1. Gigabyte claims the revisions were simply for cosmetics..... but it now uses several different components, with different arangements..... and supposedly, has no more memory compatibility issues.

According to that guy, anybody who has the 1.0 version, and sends it in reporting problems, is sent back a version 1.1

Interesting. More reading turns up that this board is the 1st of the 2oz Copper series that Gigabyte is now selling (I have one myself)

--------------------------------

You started this thread with - "I have just built a new machine: "

Here's what I would do. I'd contact the seller and see if you can return virtually all the components. Certainly the Motherboard, the CPU and the RAM. There seem to be problems with the 1.0 revision of this motherboard - you should be able to find more comments on it. The RAM is suspect because it tests as failed. The CPU is suspect because it comes up showing wrong multiplier regardless of BIOS setting. And the motherboard is the source of the problems.

If there's a way to return at least those 3 items, I would. Pay a re-stocking fee if you have to but I think you can well argue that Rev 1.0 has a defective design and shouldn't be sold in the first place. I like Gigabyte and they may have actually withdrawn sales of this board. But it doesn't stop resellers from selling their stock. I'd pick a different board and start fresh.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 6, 2009 2:32:54 PM

I think the UD3 was a 'euro only' version, with the 'non-RAID' ICH10 (as opposed to the ICH10R):

You'll find references here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&t...
and here:
http://www.galeria-jardin-dtc.com.ar/motherboards/socke...
but I haven't been able to find a standard GB MOBO 'home page' for it...

Quote:
According to that guy, anybody who has the 1.0 version, and sends it in reporting problems, is sent back a version 1.1

...sounds like a plan!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2009 3:33:52 PM

Oh, this is the GB homepage for it and the Rev 1.1 in linked to it.

Ah, just noticed that normal searches I do are at gigabyte-usa.com and the plain UD3 was found at gigabyte.com.tw
And indeed, the list of Intel P45 motherboards listed there is MUCH larger:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

Of course, the pages are much slower to load too. What is it with Taiwan and the servers being so darned slow. Just because it's an island? You'd think, with all the computer companies located there, it would have been solved by now.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 6, 2009 3:59:07 PM

Quote:
Of course, the pages are much slower to load too. What is it with Taiwan and the servers being so darned slow. Just because it's an island? You'd think, with all the computer companies located there, it would have been solved by now.

I have written Janus Yeh, the GB tech-rep over at TweakTown, about this whole 'slower than molasses' issue, insinuating that the entire GB web site is hosted on an old Apple IIe with sixteen K of RAM and a three hundred baud modem - no response! (or, defense, for that matter...) I have told him that this is a marketing issue of great import - as their (like everyone's, these days) tech support is abominable (and I have a collection of their completely incoherent email responses to people's tech questions), the least they owe the customers (who are resposible for 'word of mouth - the best kind of advertising you can get) is easy access to the paltry available information... ("...and, BTW, could you put more than three words per entry into the BIOS' changelogs, kind sirs?") This is the legacy of the on-going idiocy of having manufacturers selling engineering driven products (take a look at our car 'industry') run by marketers and money-shufflers, instead of engineers!
m
l
October 6, 2009 10:00:40 PM

Thanks for all the detail guys, i will go through it again once i finish work.

i remember seeing rev 1.1 somewhere... not in the book (says nothing about revision), not in cpu-z but one of the gigabyte tools had said it was 1.1.

and if it helps at all, i am from australia.

if i return this board.... which board should i go for?

board was purchased from pccasegear.com
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2009 11:16:29 PM

There's a label on the motherboard, in a corner, showing model and rev#.

Hmmm... an Aussie. I would have never guessed, you don't have an accent at all!

Looks like at $149 that's an inexpensive board, and I don't see you needing all the fancy cooling pipes on the Extreme P45 board by Gigabyte.

Bilbat's really the expert on all the Intel Gigabyte boards, I'm sure he'll have a low-cost suggestion. I don't know the difference between the cost-range of the various chipsets they're based upon.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 7, 2009 1:40:25 AM

Is this mainly an HTPC, or do you have other uses in mind? If HTPC, what kind of signal in do you use (or, plan on using)?
m
l
October 7, 2009 2:05:13 AM

it is mainly HTPC, but will do the occasion game, browsing internet, file server etc.

will find the Rev when i get home, and post it on here.

by signal do you mean d-sub, dvi, hdmi? if so, my video card has all three, so i am not concered with what the mobo has in regards to this.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 7, 2009 2:15:19 AM

No, I mean TV signal - how do you plan to get it into the machine? I use a Hauppage HVR-2250 for NTSC/QAM cable, and a networked SiliconDust HDHomeRun for antenna ATSC; how you intend to do it has a bearing on the rest of the equipment - if you, say, want digital CableCard tuners, you need something with a BIOS that can reliably be hacked to support OCUR compliance:
http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/73065.aspx
I refuse to pay for digital cable until these guys get their stuff going:
http://www.cetoncorp.com/ProductsWMC.php
or die trying!
m
l
October 7, 2009 2:22:02 AM

may sound stupid... but the machine will not have a TV singal.

The TV has a TV Signal :p , and already records and all the rest of it.

the main purpose for this machine is to store movies / music and enable play back for them. as well as doing some other server stuff (file server)
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2009 2:32:33 AM

LOL, I have no idea what those green-button guys are talking about.

I've also thought of a TV signal as an "extra" for a home theatre computer. I don't use any of the HTPC features myself. But I figure most people would use the computer to play DVDs, download music, movies and video from the Internet and such. And would have the option to run the video signal from their PC screen to their big-screen TV.

Replacing your TV and cable box seems a bit more than normal HTPC use. And I guess those fellows above are talking about using to computer to access digital cable service w/o a monthly convertor charge?
m
l
October 7, 2009 2:52:26 AM

i was thinking about EP45-UD3P or is this likely to have the same problems?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2009 3:29:57 AM

I honestly don't know. And there are soooo many chipsets for that socket, I don't even know which ones are newer, sorry.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
October 7, 2009 4:07:32 AM

I have walked a few people here through successful overclocks of EP45-UD3Ps - E8400s, a Q6600, at least one, and I think two 9550s; all worked out well, aided by the fact that several were using G.Skill F2-8500CL5D, which GB 775s seem to 'like'; also one EP45-UD3R E7400...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2009 4:46:36 AM

My Gigabyte board LOVES my G.Skill F2-8800CL5Ds!
m
l
!