Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HP Mother Board Class Action

Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2009 1:43:51 AM

Organizing HP Motherboard class action lawsuit

I have decided to gather and indication of interest for a class action lawsuit against Hewlett Packard. Please email me your name, address and contact phone number if you would like to join my effort in seeking vindication for the faulty products described by HP in the following post:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

I'm not interested in making money from this, rather I just want to see the company stand behind their mistakes and provide me with what I paid $1000 for, a laptop computer that works. Any reasonable person assumes that a new PC has, under normal use, a life expectancy of 3-5 years; not 1-2 years. I am not paying $300 to have a computer fixed that I did not break. Its well documented that they made mistakes in their engineering process. This is the reason that they extended the warranty by an additional year, but what good is that if you weren't notified and given an opportunity to participate. The company has all customers phone and email address. Think about the number of emails you get from their sales department each month.

In closing, this is nothing more than a big corporation making a decision based on dollars and not sense. Situations like this are exactly what the legal system exists for.

HPMotherboardAction@yahoo.com

Best Regards
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2009 8:33:45 AM

Could you provide more specific details about this? Like what mistakes did HP commit? Also, where do you base your class suit? Etc. etc.
a b V Motherboard
October 8, 2009 9:07:37 AM

Hp issues a BIOS update and an HP user thinks a class action suit is something to consider. Put down the crack pipe and the gun.
Related resources
October 17, 2009 2:26:22 AM

badge: obviously you didnt do any research. the bios update caused the fans on these laptops to run faster, so that the laptop would survive longer enough to out do the warranty. then the fans would wear down and eventually the laptop would break down and HP was very aware of this.

However: there is a class action lawsuit against NVIDIA right now.

http://www.milberg.biz/nvidia.html
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2009 2:34:30 AM

sushiserv said:
badge: obviously you didnt do any research. the bios update caused the fans on these laptops to run faster, so that the laptop would survive longer enough to out do the warranty. then the fans would wear down and eventually the laptop would break down and HP was very aware of this.

However: there is a class action lawsuit against NVIDIA right now.

http://www.milberg.biz/nvidia.html

I did my research. OP's errant assumption that his efforts have any real merit and need be posted on this Forum asking for witnesses to a lawsuit that does not exist and apparent use of mind altering drugsare what I repied to.
October 18, 2009 7:20:30 AM

True, the posting on this forum was not needed. But you can't stop the fingers at the keyboard :x

Still, I want some of what he is smoking. It seems type good.
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2009 8:11:15 AM

My neighbor just had the NVIDIA GF7600 mobile GPU go bad on her HP DV9000, with this exact symptom: "The external monitor functions but there is no image on the notebook LCD panel."

The image using the VGA port has lots of artifacts and ziggy lines, but it works and the computer boots into Safe Mode but crashes when booting normally. There is no output on the LCD panel at all.

She purchased an extended warranty through Best Buy that still had six months left, otherwise she would have been SOL with no warranty. Of course, getting them to repair it is another matter. She just got the thing back after three weeks, and now it doesn't work at all, not even via the VGA port. So she had to send it back again. I told her it would take them two months to get it fixed but I don't think she believed me.

I don't know why anyone would want their three year-old notebook repaired when they can buy a much better notebook for much less than they paid three years ago.
November 3, 2009 5:09:07 PM

My husband and i got 2 of these laptops and were told that we missed the cut off date to have them repaired by 2 days..They never sent out a notice by mail ..They did it over the internet..We told them if we had a laptop that worked we would have been able to get on the internet..Please count us in on your class action lawsuit..
November 13, 2009 4:20:53 PM

I bought an HP Slimline desktop the motherboard died 2 days before the warranty expired they replaced the board and this board went out 9 months later. I called and asked if there was a design flaw or problem with these boards and they said they had no knowledge of any problem and there was nothing they could do.THe board is an Asus M2NC51-AR Motherboard
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2009 5:54:47 PM

I bought a $2400 laptop from the HP website. An hour after turning the unit on my wife stuck her fingernail under the volume button and pulled instead of pushing and the button popped out of the case. Unable to install the button back into the case without breaking open the case, I called HP and explained I needed to send the unit in to be repaired. The HP service rep. told me it would cost $250 to repair it even though I had received it an hour ago. I could have sent it back and had my money refunded to my credit card right there on the spot. Instead I called a lawyer and sued. This guy had HP on their knees. Needless to say, I made the right decision by hiring this lawyer.

Give him a call, you will be glad you did.

December 10, 2009 5:24:15 PM

Please add my name to the class action. Email me for my personal info. . I have a DV2000 that has the bad nvidia gpu and my "enhanced" warranty expired in August 2009. Corporate will not budge. I have been on HPLies.com and am asking that everybody call HP Corporate as well as email them all at the same time between today and tomorrow and everyday thereafter until they notice and do something about the issue.

HP Corporate: 1-800-756-0608 Option #7
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2009 5:36:10 PM

Posting you're email address on a public forum like this will get results. You Inbox will be filled with new ideas. Nice going.
December 10, 2009 5:41:51 PM

badge said:
Posting you're email address on a public forum like this will get results. You Inbox will be filled with new ideas. Nice going.

Thanks badge. Your the man.
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2009 6:33:39 PM

nayasamson said:
Thanks badge. Your the man.

No problem.

a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2009 5:27:47 AM

Guys, you should fight for your rights!!!

December 22, 2009 12:14:38 PM

Do any of you guys leaving smart ass replies and complaining about people voicing opinions here have any clue of exactly what has happened with HP laptops over the past few years? HP has already admitted faulty design with their DV series by implementing a recall. In addition to the DV series, there are thousands upon thousands of failures with their TX series and Compaq models involving the same overheating problem. It's a documented design flaw that HP decided to continue to sell even after knowing of the issue. That is fact, not someone's opinion. So yes, their is merit in a class action suit against HP.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2010 3:17:41 AM

Hey HPMotherboardAction@yahoo.com, do you have any update regarding the suit? I too have a dead MB S3100N.

Hey Badge, why don't you help us out by clicking on some of the ads?
February 5, 2010 1:17:31 AM

Ah, I settled out of court with HP over the issue with my laptop, so I can no longer join the class action.
February 5, 2010 7:50:05 PM

I've been having problems with wireless from the start, flashed the BIOS which seemed to improve it but not solve it, now my computer just loops without activating the screen or loading Windows. The local computer repair store says 100% of the DV2000, DV6000, and DV9000 laptops that came in needed the mother replaced. I am now looking at missing my radio broadcast start date (on the first day of the Vancouver Olympics) for my new business, not to mention the massive personal mess not having my laptop is incurring. I AM FURIOUS after talking with HP (and also seeing that they KNEW about this problem, and that I received NO contact even though I registered my computer! So I find out about it NOW that there was an extended warranty??) WTF. Now they want $300 to fix a problem they KNEW about when they sold the computer?? No way. If I ran my business like that I'd be outta business and more.

Is there a result of the nVidia lawsuit yet? You do realize that NONE of the HP customers affected by that will see any of that $$$$.

If there is a class action lawsuit against HP, I would love to join.
February 17, 2010 6:32:09 PM

I am totally agree with your action. We need to do something to protect the customer right. Why I have to pay $700.00 for a laptop which is not working even 2 years. And all of the technicians I saw, told me that because of the mother board. They didn't even touch it and they all knew the problem. It is not our fault, it is hp produces the faulty machines Hope to hear from you soon!
February 18, 2010 10:45:27 PM

Here is a reason to believe in god, heavan and hell. There is a special place in hell where engineers will spend all of eternity repairing the products they designed.

The laptops that need to be completely disassembled to clean or replace their cooling system. The cars that need the exhaust manifold removed to change the oil. Etc.

I had a fan/heatsink replaced on an HP laptop whose Nvidia GPU is causing the system to crash. Had to replace a fan on a Toshiba Satellite as well.
February 19, 2010 1:34:42 AM

Ok, the problem with those Laptops is the Nvidia chip over-heating and losing contact with the board. Trust me I had to repair my wifes after spending two hours with HP customer-not-support. I was kindly informed that the extended warranty has expired and the repair would cost me almost $300. Hers is the DV9000 but it happens to the DV6000 and many other models including Compaq.

The problem is the cooling unit (NOT ENOUGH COOPER) they use the same cooper pipe for the CPU and GPU. The GPU does not have cooper contact with heat sink but ruther a little piece of thermal pad that touches the heat sink.

HP is aware of this problem that is why they have done the Bios update and your laptop will sound like a helicopter.

AND NO THE MOTHERBOARD DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REPLACED THERE IS A WAY TO FIX IT.

If you are in the Atlanta area you can contact me we do repair those laptops and fix the cooling issue at almost 1/3 of the price of HP.

February 19, 2010 1:37:29 AM

More over it's a total design fail on those laptops.

The laptops that got fixed by HP received a new motherboard with a different heatsink.

February 20, 2010 2:41:20 AM

My g/f has a dv9700 and after the wirless went bad,I went usb wirless. then after several times of restoring from hard drive, dv9700 is dead to piont of reboot loop and black screen-gee is hp awair of the melting temp of solder?
February 25, 2010 2:06:34 PM

Goro said:
Ok, the problem with those Laptops is the Nvidia chip over-heating and losing contact with the board. Trust me I had to repair my wifes after spending two hours with HP customer-not-support. I was kindly informed that the extended warranty has expired and the repair would cost me almost $300. Hers is the DV9000 but it happens to the DV6000 and many other models including Compaq.

The problem is the cooling unit (NOT ENOUGH COOPER) they use the same cooper pipe for the CPU and GPU. The GPU does not have cooper contact with heat sink but ruther a little piece of thermal pad that touches the heat sink.

HP is aware of this problem that is why they have done the Bios update and your laptop will sound like a helicopter.

AND NO THE MOTHERBOARD DOES NOT HAVE TO BE REPLACED THERE IS A WAY TO FIX IT.

If you are in the Atlanta area you can contact me we do repair those laptops and fix the cooling issue at almost 1/3 of the price of HP.

Goro....

How long have your repairs lasted. I had a new chip and reflow done twice at a shop in Dallas. Repairs do not last.
March 6, 2010 5:35:31 PM

I too am having the same iussues with my pavilion dv6227cl and I just spoke with a HP rep. 3/4/10 He informed me that for $259 they would put in another mother board, I told him "why would I do such a stupid thing" when hP knows it was a defective laptop, from the very beginning. Now I am using my reliable dell desktop, which I am so happy to have to write this response? I read someone Else's response and they said that it will be less expensive for HP to be sued than to repair all these defective laptops! I don't expect to get a new laptop, but if HP has to pay a group of attorneys to fight a class action lawsuit, then their stock holders will start bailing on HP stock, which in turn might help HP to go backrupt, we could only hope :) 

I would be happy to join any type of suit against HP, as I now have to go buy a new laptop, which will be any other brand, but HP?

March 10, 2010 3:23:59 AM

I am having the same problem. I would be glad to assist you with filing a class action against HP. My email address is
March 10, 2010 10:04:38 PM

Add my name to the list. bowe05@msn.com. I am having the same problem that the HP tech reported to me was the existing problem but my computer is out of warranty and they want me to pay $259 to have it repaired.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 9:45:54 AM

Add my name to the list too. My email is A. I bought my computer in November 2008 and only booted it up less than 50 times. I did not drop my computer so my motherboard should not have gone out.
March 13, 2010 2:17:00 AM

I bought an HP dv9700 16 months ago. It died at 14 months. The idiot that said it was a Bios problem is wrong. Check out all the complaints on the HP blogs. Community Mailer [HP_TOTAL_CARE2@hp.com. What happens is the system overheats and burns out the graphics card. The card is integrated into the mother board, so you have to pay 400.00 to replace the whole board and then it breaks down in a year again. The whole screen goes black. There is no way to fix it. The computer repair stores will use the computer for parts, and you can get about 250.00 for it. Don't by an HP laptop, they just don't last. Scott
March 16, 2010 2:30:12 AM

Pavilion 2810US

The screen went black,after 1.5 years...HP wants 398.00 for motherboard replacement

Please contact me...
March 20, 2010 3:57:17 PM

Same problem with Pavillion 9220. Would welcome class action lawsuit.

Joel P.
March 20, 2010 4:30:57 PM

joelp said:
Same problem with Pavillion 9220. Would welcome class action lawsuit.

Joel P.

I read another guy that file a suit in small claims court and won? I am thinking that might be a better way to go than a class action law suit, as we know only the attorneys get paid in full! I encourage everyone with a dv6000 or anyone with this mother board problem, to file a small claims case in you city!

I know I will not and should not get a full refund for my now dead dv6227cl, but I would like to buy another laptop and another brand for sure, but money is tight and I will just have to use this old dell desktop, till I get something from HP.

There has been a new story about a bunch of Chineses...upset about these same problems with HP. But I am sure HP will just sweep it under the rug, unless someone can make national news story about HP and their scamming consumers, other wise I am just going to try and recover 3/4 persent of what I paid?

good Luck and if anyone has a good idea about how to make a USA national news story about all these defective laptops against HP, it might get them to admit fault and the law suits would abound? Maybe a good sob story about no $$$ and cannot email my loved one in the service or something???

Don
March 25, 2010 11:57:17 PM

I too would like to join in any action against HP. Keep me posted @ livefreeordye@live.com.
The 8400M GS graphics cards on my HP dv2600t failed after 2 years. The case manager assigned to me kept harping that the system was out of warranty. HP did not have the decency to email their customers about the problem, or to replace the GPU's vis a recall. Shame on them!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2008/08/nvidia.ht...

RD

March 29, 2010 4:03:54 AM

Not sure if it's the same motherboard issue or not. I have an HP Slimline s3020n that's headed back to the shop again for another video/motherboard problem. First time it happened in Oct 09 and, now, in March 10. Same symptoms as before--no video, only this time I can hear the system booting to Windows unlike last time--no boot, blank screen. Losing patience with HP (or I should say my mother-in-law is--and I recommended HP to her.)

David
March 29, 2010 7:03:33 AM

I'm in as well! Dito to evrything! As I can't go into much detail on this very old laptop.
a b V Motherboard
March 29, 2010 8:57:11 AM

gracie99 said:
I'm in as well! Dito to evrything! As I can't go into much detail on this very old laptop.

Call and make an appointemt to speak to HP management. Have written detail ready if asked. Even the little detal you have and cover up any obvious evidence of being a habitual sore loser with an abundance of end user incompotence who has no idea what they are talking about concerning computers. Get the last name of the quality control guy over there and post it here. He has been in hiding since F. Lee Bailey took the case. He's a middle aged guy about six foot tall with curley hair.

March 29, 2010 11:03:46 PM

I'm not happy, something went wrong. I know, I'll sue. America's answer to everything when they can't invade.
April 8, 2010 7:56:24 PM

If your new car's motor failed 1/4 of the way thru the life expectancy, wouldn't you be alittle upset. To class action sue it to bring about a resolution to a defect. You have recalls on cars, strollers etc to fix a problem. I don't want to sue for money, just repairs.
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2010 8:43:38 PM

beansinaz said:
If your new car's motor failed 1/4 of the way thru the life expectancy, wouldn't you be alittle upset. To class action sue it to bring about a resolution to a defect. You have recalls on cars, strollers etc to fix a problem. I don't want to sue for money, just repairs.

You have the right to remain silent, but obviously don't have the ability.

a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 8:53:27 PM

beansinaz said:

well, what is HP's standard warranty, 1 year, and i bet that is what most people have with it (because the longer warranties are expensive), so that means that HP is saying they cover the computer for 1 year, ie in most situations it should last that long, but there is no indication of how much longer it should last

so all in all, get over it and buy a better brand next time, lesson learned (its why i build desktops and will buy performance laptops from a good brand)

EDIT: to all who blame HP, if you would have read a little about technology, you would have known this was a problem
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2010 9:14:09 PM

This just in.

For the many of you wanting to sue HP, but do not even own one of the systems in question including beansinaz, gracie99 and david219. Give MSI a try. Here's a rare glimpse into the kind of stringent system fan testing put into one their budget machines.

Note: This may be of interest too if you are wondering what caused the 7.2 Baja quake.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/chopra-blames-own...
May 14, 2010 5:57:25 PM

I had the same problem and my laptop (dv6000) is dead. I called HP today (5/13/2010) and they said that you were out of the 2 years extended warranty and asked me for paid for 250+ to fix it. I told them that my laptop had the issue 6 months ago and they fixed it for me for free. and it broke again after 6 months.. it was a completely design issue. I agreed with most of the people here, and we are not asking for refund or $$$. Just to find a permanent solution to this issue and repair our laptops.. I WOULD NOT pay the $250 dollars to replace the MB just for 6 months..
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2010 4:34:35 AM

Quick question, how many of you with defective units have Nvidia chips? They had a defective bump issue with that generation of mobile GPU chips.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 18, 2010 9:13:21 AM

Add my name to the list too.
DV9000 bought it in 2007, out of warranty in October 2009

Quote:
Add my name to the list too. My email is . I bought my computer in November 2008 and only booted it up less than 50 times. I did not drop my computer so my motherboard should not have gone out.

May 18, 2010 12:14:45 PM

listen guys you are wasting your time, the deal was hp sells you a laptop with 1 year peace of mind if it breaks after 1 year its not my problem and you agreed to that and bought it the deal wasnt more than 1 year warranty.

2) why more ppl have this problem? coze more ppl buy hp
also consider this, its not hp, its not nvidia and its not any corporations fault the fault is of the EU regulations and no one elses, actualy the tree hugers "enviroment people" because in 2007 regulations obliged manufacturers to use "lead free solder" rather than "lead solder" and lead free melts easly, and after 1 year the dust builds and blocks the air vents and it causes the laptop to overheat and the solder to melt and then you get that 3 beep erros, or black screen.

it is also foxconn's fault for designing poor cooling system, so in the end your wasting your time if you want to hold a law suite hold it against EU not hp first understand what happens then sue.

and further, an insider who works for hp tech team told me even during warranty we were not replacing motherboards as we say we were only doing a reflow fix "heating the chip" which is known for short term repair "3 months maximum" before it occurs again but we had to say we replaced your motherboard so you'll think it will last longer but sometimes we end up doing this 3 to 5 times to each customer until their warranty ends.

and even more, this is a natural cause "dust" because their excuse is there is no other technology yet avaible that is dust free to cool your laptops to prevent this problem.

in the end I hope you do come up with something but here are 3 potential solutions
1)All manufacturers need to use high quality lead free solder which melts at 180c such as Pb65Sn35 or Pb60Sn40 but the best and cheaper type is Sn63Pb37

2) provide a dust removal, and thermal paste service before the warranty ends for free by manufacturer or supplier or a voucher to take to any repair shop.

3) add a dedicated fan to the graphic processing unit if its memory is more than 128mb.

I hope this helps you during your law suite.
My own words, Lotfi Bouakaz
June 5, 2010 1:18:34 AM

Hi my name is Timothy Klug,I was looking for some help with my laptop.It is over heating and the screen went black.
The same thing every body is heaving with the DV9000.I try ed to reach HP with this matter the same thing,
its not under warranty.that's not right I paid good money for this,.About 1,400.00 Dollars.I only had this laptop for
about Three years.I thought HP.was better than that.I have Three other Hp computers,and i am thinking about getting rid of them.
I just bought a HP touch screen and thinking of getting rid of it,.If Hp dose not do anything about this problem they will lose me and others like us.

June 5, 2010 1:22:21 AM

Hi my name is Timothy Klug,I was looking for some help with my laptop.It is over heating and the screen went black.
The same thing every body is heaving with the DV9000.I try ed to reach HP with this matter the same thing,
its not under warranty.that's not right I paid good money for this,.About 1,400.00 Dollars.I only had this laptop for
about Three years.I thought HP.was better than that.I have Three other Hp computers,and i am thinking about getting rid of them.
I just bought a HP touch screen and thinking of getting rid of it,.If Hp dose not do anything about this problem they will lose me and others like us.

EDIT: Please don't post personal information here in the forum
!