HTPC AMD785G Motherboard

ambientmf

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
OK, so today I got the case (with included power supply), hard drive and DVD drive in a HTPC build I'm building for a family member.
This will be replacing a old Dell Inspiron and will primarily be used for movies and TV shows. Possibly some encoding but no 3D gaming or anything too resource-intensive.
I'm conflicted between the motherboard I want to use.
I won't require any dedicated graphics so anything with more than 1 PCIe-x16 slot is completely irrelevant.
I will be using an Athlon II X2 240 AM3 processor and I'll want to overclock it a bit to get some extra performance (stock 2.8, want to OC to 3.0-3.5) so a solid board is what I'm looking for.
It's only using a single hard drive, DVD drive and like I said, no extras like video cards.

The two boards I've been interested in are:

ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

So yeah, should I go with what's cheaper? I'd save a few dollars to go with the Gigabyte board. I've heard good things about both and am looking for some overclocking headroom and stability, first and foremost.
What do you guys think? Any feedback would be appreciated.
For those who are curious, I'm also using the following components:

Antec NSK2480 HTPC Case with included Antec EarthWatts 380W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA Hard Drive
Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE SATA DVD Writer

To be purchased with the motherboard:

Athlon II X2 240 AM3 Processor 2.8GHz
G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333 CL9 Memory
Wireless Mouse + Keyboard

Solution
I've got the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H - DDR2 version of 785G and quite happy with it. See good things about Asus also. Both good websites, docs and updates.

I'd be careful to get RAM with lower voltages. Standard for DDR3 is 1.5V - 1.65V and seen few problems if you stay in that range. CL9 is ok, might be something lower.

The 380W PSU is far less than either board will recommend, but with built-in graphics and few drives, can't see it being a problem.

Be sure to poke around for combos starting from RAM, CPU and MB choice - can usually find a match with one of the other items. And combos at NewEgg change daily.

Mongox

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I've got the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H - DDR2 version of 785G and quite happy with it. See good things about Asus also. Both good websites, docs and updates.

I'd be careful to get RAM with lower voltages. Standard for DDR3 is 1.5V - 1.65V and seen few problems if you stay in that range. CL9 is ok, might be something lower.

The 380W PSU is far less than either board will recommend, but with built-in graphics and few drives, can't see it being a problem.

Be sure to poke around for combos starting from RAM, CPU and MB choice - can usually find a match with one of the other items. And combos at NewEgg change daily.

Solution

ambientmf

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for your input. I decided to go with the Gigabyte board (DDR3 version) to save me a bit of money. I've been looking around for deals and ended up just price matching @ NCIX the lowest prices I could find.
The G.skill RAM that I'm picking up is honestly the cheapest kit I could find that was in stock and even at CL9, it's a huge improvement from their crappy Dell (DDR I think). If this were my own rig, I would have spent the extra few dollars for a CL7 kit.
I'm guessing the recommended PSU falls somewhere between 450-600ish? Yeah, this rig isn't used for anything intensive, I will probably bump up the CPU to 3.0GHz, now that I think about it that's probably the safest OC for such a weak power supply.

Thanks again for your feedback, now I just have to wait until Monday to actually get it. Blast, these people need to start working weekends :p