Sign in with
Your question

Heatsink for CPU,RAM w/heat spreaders

Last response: in Overclocking
January 10, 2011 4:15:06 AM

Currently, I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 and it blocks 1 of my RAM slots on my mobo which forces my RAM to be in the 2nd and 3rd Dimm slots, which I suspect is causing me some performance issues but I could be wrong on that. But I'm looking for a better cooler and something that won't block my RAM slots. I'd really like the Scythe Mugen 2 but some people say it would work, others say it won't so I was hoping for some help. I'd also like to at least try to hit 4GHz with my processor as well and I don't want to spend more than $50 or $60 on a cooler.
I was even thinking of selling my RAM on ebay or something and trying to get back some money on them and using that money to purchase RAM w/o heat spreaders but I'd prefer not to do that.

Mobo: MSI 770-G45
CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 740
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB
Case: HAF 912

Thanks in advance for any help.
January 21, 2011 2:09:47 AM

I checked your mobo manual, it offers no info about what mem slots to use, check CPU-z and see if the mem is operating in dual channel mode. If it is, than those slots should not affect performance.
a b K Overclocking
January 21, 2011 11:36:08 PM

Dual channel mode for that board is 1&2.
A CM 212+ or N520 would fit.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 182 K Overclocking
January 21, 2011 11:55:00 PM

jockey's 212+ suggestion is your best bet.
Excellent price/performance and won't interfere with Ripjaws.
I use that set-up on one of my rigs.
January 22, 2011 12:26:00 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys but I already have some new RAM w/o heatspreaders installed in my 1st and 2nd slot.
!