Upgrading my processor and need info

Ok I'm trying to upgrade my processor and need some info. about the power supply. Will I need to upgrade my power supply? I have a 300 watt supply. The processor I'm looking to upgrade to is AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+.
MY mother board is MCP61SM-GM 2DIMM w/O 1394 PCIe.
16 answers Last reply
More about upgrading processor info
  1. You're buying an 89W CPU. What's your current CPU? If it's the same wattage, then it's fine.
  2. 300 is low in these days. get 500w
  3. If he upgrades from an 89W CPU to another 89W CPU, a PSU upgrade is not required. Unfortunately the OP didn't say anything about his current CPU and other components in the system.
  4. These are my system specs I didnt add the detailed info.
    I wasnt sure if you were talking about the Thermal Design Power.

> Mainboard : ELITEGROUP MCP61SM-GM

> Chipset : nVidia 6100V

> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3800+ @ 2400 MHz

> Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

> Hard Disk : ST325031 (250 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H652H ATA Device

> Monitor Type : E17T6W - 17 inches

> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter

> Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6002 Service Pack 2

<<< Mainboard >>>

> Manufacturer : Gateway

>> General Information
    Product : W5243
    Version : 400
    Serial Number : GC58140014529
    Unique ID : FEFEFEFE-FEFEFEFE-FEFEFEFE-FEFEFEFE
    SKU : Unspecified
    Family : Unspecified
    Start mode : Power Switch

> Mainboard : ELITEGROUP MCP61SM-GM

>> General Information
    Manufacturer : ELITEGROUP
    Product : MCP61SM-GM
    Version : 1.0
    Serial Number : Unspecified
    Support MP : Yes, 1 CPU(s)
    Version MPS : 1.4

>> Chassis Information
    Manufacturer : Gateway
    Type : Desktop
    Version : MCP61SM-GM
    Serial Number : Unknow
    Asset : Unknow

>> Sensor Information
    Hardware Monitoring : ITE IT8726F

>> On-Board Device Information
    Embedded Controller : Yes
    <<< Processor >>>

> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3800+

>> General Information
    Type : AMD Athlon 64
    Internal Specification : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+
    Model Number : 3800+
    Codename : Lima
    Technology : 0.065µ
    CPU ID : F.F.1
    CPU IDEx : F.7F.1
    Brand ID : 4
    Microcode : MU0FF10
    K8 Revision : 6.0
  5. Use CPU-Z to ID the current 3800+ so you know if it's the 65W or 89W version.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
  6. The 3800+ Lima is a single-core 45W CPU. If it's a good quality PSU, then adding a 44W load to it shouldn't be an issue (according to Antec Power Supply Calculator).
  7. Where does it show the wattage of the cpu IN CPU-IDz
  8. CPU-Z doesn't show wattage, but once you know which processor you have, then you can find that info at AMD.com. Since you already posted that you have a 3800+ Lima and that you want to buy an Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+, it was easy to find out their wattage.
  9. I used the Antec Power Supply thing and it shows that with the processor I'd only have 13 watt left to spare from it with my hardware config . Should I upgrade it or will it be fine
  10. Why not get X2 250 or X2 550? They have lower power usage, are probably cheaper, and will perform better.

I think it's a better idea to spend more money on a better low power processor than to get the 6000+ if you spend on a PSU upgrade.

If you want to go with the 6000+, I think your PSU will be fine.
  11. Quote:
    Why not get X2 250 or X2 550?
    Is it supported on that Gateway motherboard?
  12. alt1231 said:
    I used the Antec Power Supply thing and it shows that with the processor I'd only have 13 watt left to spare from it with my hardware config . Should I upgrade it or will it be fine
    Then you have more in your system than what was listed. It would be safer to upgrade the PSU.
  13. The need for a better psu is mainly driven by the vga configuration. Assuming that will not change, and you are running ok now, then you will probably not need a better psu for a slightly hungrier dpu.

That said, a stronger psu will run more efficiently and quieter if it has some capability in reserve.

Look for a 450w unit from corsair or PC P&C, particularly if you may want to upgrade your vga card in the future.
  14. First, my bad for missing the Lima thing in the specs post.

I have to agree with the Phenom II X2 550 argument, if it's supported. That or an X2 Kuma 7750/7850 would be a better choice than the X2 6000+. 2 MBs of L3 cache works wonders over none at all, even at their lower stock-clock speed. You should probably check with Gateway (maybe even ECS) for a BIOS update to support these "newer" processors.

As for power concerns, there are plenty of excellent 400-450W PSUs available at Newegg.com for 30-50 dollars. (I just bought an Antec earthwatts EA430 for $49.99.) Many (not all) of them are of newer design, which means they're more efficient and supply a solid amount of 12V power, which is exactly what more modern PCs need.
  15. COuld either of you look up and match fastest ossible processor for me? I'm looking to upgrade to fastest cpu I can
  16. It all depends on the BIOS. Since OEMs like Gateway tend to cripple the BIOS in their motherboards, so it all depends on them.

Call them and ask.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Power Supplies Processors