Best heatsink for overclocking the i7 2600K and still usin x4RAMsticks

yakri

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Yeah, I squeezed a lot into that title.

Basically, I just bought the 2600K, and I plan to overclock it at some point.

Thing is, I'll be using 4 sticks of this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145261

Now it doesn't have huge head spreaders or anything, but a lot of heatsinks I've had recommended, like the cooler-master hyper 212 tend to crowed out some RAM sticks.

If anyone has any success stories of fitting similar RAM under a hyper 212 or similar heatsink, I'd love to hear them.

I'm just hoping to avoid tears when I get all my parts in 2-3 days and find out I can't fit all my RAM under my heatsink.

Also, I'm aiming for a relatively cheap heatsink, less than 40$ ideally. It's also a bonus if it can fit 2 120mm fans instead of one, because I have a good quality extra fan handy, and I've had good experiences in heat reduction from adding a second fan in the past.

PS. I'm currently planning to throughly lap whatever heatsink I get, if it matters.

Solution
the corsair XMS will be cleared by the 212+... and you can fit in two fans in push pull also... i think one of our mods has this config... Saint19...

yakri

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Awesome, thanks! ^_^ I have a hyper 212+ in push-pull on my current system and it's beastly, keeps my Phenom II x4 965 well under 40c even moderately overclocked and under full load (non-overclocked full load is like 29-32c).

I've just never tried to fit a stick of RAM under it to date, so I wanted to be sure that would work with my new build.

nelsiton49

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Hello, I Paid $781 for this i7 2600k basic system did I get a good system? Gamer Xtreme 1000 (NO MONITOR) *BASE_PRICE: [ 599] CAS: Thermaltake V3 Black Mid-Tower Case [-7] CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD -R/ -RW CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR) CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) [ 136] FAN: XtremeGear Ultra Triple Heatpipes Cool Copper Heatsink CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent at 20dBA & Overclock Proof) [-11] FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [ 10] (BLACK COLOR) FREEBIE_CU1: FREE Game - Napoleon: Total War HDD: 640GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [ 4] (Single Hard Drive) KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard MEMORY: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand) MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] Asus P8P67-M Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ UEFI, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI [ 24] MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition) OVERCLOCK: Let’s see how high it can go POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [ 26] RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports VIDEO: None, or On-Board 16X PCIe Shared 128MB Integrated 3D Graphics Video Card. I have an HD 6850 @ home _PRICE: $781.00

G

Hey, just wondering how the Hyper 212 is working out for you? Have you fitted it yet?

I've just bought an ASUS P8P67 LE board along with a 2600K. Unfortunately I also made the mistake of getting a Zalman CNPS 10x Quiet cooler for the CPU. I only found out today (after collecting it) that it covers two RAM slots- it's massive. Not a happy camper!

What about the number of pins for the fan? The 1155 board seems to have 4 pins for the CPU fan but the Zalman I picked up (designed mainly for 1156) has only 3 pins- another change with these new 1155 boards. I'm guessing I could fit it to one of the 'case' power connectors on the 1155 board (which are 3 pin) but wouldn't the motherboard complain that 'no CPU fan is fitted' if no fan was connected to the 4 pin fan socket specifically marked 'CPU fan' ?

Sheesh... I thought this would be easy. There's only 1 pin of a difference between 1155 and 1156! :sarcastic:

yakri

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
The hyper 212+ is working out great for me.

You could fit all four sticks of RAM under it, but you'd need to have the heatsink off to get the fourth RAM stick in. You would of course, also need to buy the right kind of RAM to fit under it. Cosair XMS and similar RAM with short heat spreaders work fine.

The temps I'm getting are 28c or so while idle, and about 48c under full load. I actually expected temps a little lower than that, but I think the problem is either just that this CPU runs hotter than my old Phenom II or I seated the heatsink a little off.

G

Thanks for your reply! I've followed your lead and got the Hyper 212 plus- it was pretty much as described. One of the ram slots is a bit covered but a stick with a small heat spreader should still fit no problem. I'm waiting on some XMS sticks to arrive to put that to the test but I couldn't see there being any issues.

My temps were in and around 28-30c idle also. Maybe that's normal? Though I do think my 212 could be a bit tighter also since I can twist it slightly with some moderate force. Not that I'm complaining though- those are still pretty good temps regardless! :)

yakri

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
The idle seems about right to me, it's just that I wouldn't have expected the temps to climb so high under load.

The last PC I ran this setup on, I barely hit 40C with an overclocked Phenom II quad core processor under full load.

It might just be an AMD vs Intel difference though.

Edit: I overclocked both my 570's a little past EVGA's superclocked cards. They're running in the 60C range with a software fan profile. :D

On the downside, it hardly affected my folding performance at all.

I really need to get my second GPU folding (currently tangling with the confusing FAQ, but I'll get there!)

Edit2: I'm running 800 on the core clock, 1600 on the shader clock, and 2001 on the memory clock. On the GPU display for F@H it increased my ns/day from 1110 to 1120.

Joshwaa

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

You should be getting 17,120ppd from a GTX570 at those clock speeds. Let me know if you need setup help.

yakri

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
I was getting 17,000-ish PPD from one of them, the other card always comes in at 1000-3000 PPD lower for some reason though.

Any idea what Might cause that?

Also, I lost a couple degrees on my processor temps when I replaced my mobo, I think because I did a better job seating the heatsink this time (the hyper 212+ is a pain, but easier when you've installed it a few times).

Joshwaa

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

If you have the sli bridge off and Physx set to cpu the should both be the same. I have the same issue with my second GTX570. RMA ed it and no problems with the new one.