Any new cards on the horizon?

Alex00322

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Basically right now I have two 285oc's from BFG. I signed up for the trade up program and still have around two months left. What do you guys think the likelihood of a new card coming out is? Basically the way it is now I can trade up to a 285 Ocx and pay absolutely nothing. Even trade up to a 295 and pay 50$'s but I don't really want four 275's.

Jaysin

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
The odds of a new Nvidia card worth stepping up to at that point is probably unlikely. They may push out a new "revision" with slightly upped clocks but words is they are having 40nm issues and their next gen may not even make it out until early next year.

Don't hold your breath.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Does Nvidia/ATI really need any new GPUs that is 25 percent better than the current top of the line? There are few but not many that can choke a GTS 250 on a 22" monitor and certainly a mid-range GTX 260 can handle 99% of the games out there.

Now if the price of 24, 26, 30 in monitors dropped a third to half of their price and became the common gaming monitor, then there would be more pressure for GPUs to get more pumped up. As of now, the top GPUs are overdosed on steroids as it is.

You are already near the top of the mountain, dude! You can't go any better other than 3x SLI. But to answer your question, no there is nothing new coming out until October of this year, the GTX 300 series. Nvidia is tight-lipped about what it will offer, but most likely it will be a tweak instead of new architecture. Then you'll have the phenomenal introductory price tag of course.

You decided to pull the trigger and be an early adopter to one of the best. GPU solutions out there currently. You'll have to wait quite a while now to go better. :)