Sign in with
Your question

Power Supply

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 7, 2009 12:39:48 AM

Hello, how can you figure out how much watts your computer can dish out for a new graphics card? I have an Nvidia 6150 SE, it's not very good.. Actually not even below average but anyways, yeah.. how can I figure that out?

More about : power supply

May 7, 2009 12:47:13 AM

Sticker on the side of your power supply...your psu most likely won't run anything of decency..

Whats your budget your resolution and your intended games to be played...what do you expect from the card? maxed out aa af etc...

List the entire specs of your computer as well...

Buying a 300$ gpu won't help you much if your running a low clocked X2
May 8, 2009 3:58:28 AM

rewindlabs said:
Sticker on the side of your power supply...your psu most likely won't run anything of decency..

Whats your budget your resolution and your intended games to be played...what do you expect from the card? maxed out aa af etc...

List the entire specs of your computer as well...

Buying a 300$ gpu won't help you much if your running a low clocked X2

Hello good sir, I have a HP Pavillion a6700f AMD Phenom X4 9150 Quad Core Processor 1.80ghz--4 GB Memory, 500GB Harddrive.
Bought this around 4-5 months ago from Circuit City, never knew much about computers before I picked it up.. .. All I ever really play is Shaiya, an MMORPG with low quality graphics..Never had trouble before.. but Im begining to think my Card is burnt because my FPS have dropped in the game and I can't play anything higher than 800x600. My budget is 150 $ for a new GC, Paid a lil over 700 for this comp, begining to think I have been bamboozled!!! Im just hoping to play any game on its default res without any "choppiness" or "slight pauses". Left 4 Dead-Rome Total War- Call of Duty, ETC.. Thank you for posting. =) A friend tells me ATI is better than Nvidia.. But Im thinking about getting the Nvidia 91500 or something like that.

Related resources
May 8, 2009 4:29:42 AM

Its sad to say but vs building it yourself you probably lost out albeit if it suits you who gives a *** right? i mean you got exactly what you wanted out of what you bought so no reason to fret its not like you can go back and do it over...

Your current graphics card is actually just an intergrated processor on your motherboard and its realllly bad so just about any gpu will be a MAJOR upgrade...

Anyways your cpu sucks....really i could go on about how its not the best etc but it kind of just sucks...hmm well at its default clock it sucks if we can do an overclock it would improve your fps a bit...really you should be able to run those games but if one proves to be laggy you can start by using clockgen and overclocking your processor and then testing to make sure its stable and watching temps...you may be able to get a few fps or more this way as your cpu is quite a low clock it really does hurt you

Although the above overclocking thing is a bit above the average user and you may not even have to do it im just stating it as you may have trouble running an rts that needs the added cpu power but we can cross that road if we get there...

Your psu won't run any cards....now il need to know your resolution but lets consider its 1280 1024 il recommend the following...and that card will do great at the above resolution and has great overclocking speeds..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

now you will also need a psu and that should run you under 50$...so this upgrade is right in your budget and it will be great performance...il let someone else recommend you a powersupply but you shouldn't need more than a 450w...

May 8, 2009 4:35:03 AM

I also want to add if any of the above stumps you or you have any questions at all feel free to ask... :) 

I recently setup a system with a 40$ processor and my motherboard is locked just like yours so i of course have to do a software overclock and so far iv managed to go from a 2.2ghz processor to 2.6ghz and my fps in demanding games like farcry 2 raised quite a bit i was really shocked :D  hopefully if it comes down to it we can get you a nice overclock as well

anyways im rambling so yeah let me know your exact resolution as the card above wouldn't be the best buy for a higher res and we would need to increase your budget about 30-50$...ok
May 8, 2009 5:58:56 AM

I was always told that O/C with software wasn't that great. And that it was to be done in the BIOS.
May 8, 2009 6:27:36 AM

Yeah your mostly right...i was blown out of my mind when i hit a stable overclock of 400mhz just by raising my fsb from the application on my amd 4400+ with the 9800gtx+....runs great and unlocks atleast 3 fps in my cpu intensive titles

Software overclocking is definitely an option for him and as long as we can find one of the apps that has support for his motherboard he should be able to get a few hundred mhz although that is just speculation and it depends entirely on the system...if we get there and if he ends up needing it...btw most of these software overclocking apps just mess with the fsb and even if the bios won't let you touch the fsb the app still works...so motherboard support means just recognizing his...

In short if you can overclock in the bios do it and there isn't much of a reason to run a software overclock...but if your on a locked laptop or desktop software overclocking is your best friend
!