Which Drives to get

trevbotha

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I'm setting up a Raid 1 on two drives to store mainly photos and Video for my photography business .The question is what drives to use ? Ive got 2 WD 2TB Black sitting here staring me in the face that I haven't installed yet because I'm thinking it might be a waste for simple storage. I'm using a 120GB SSD for OS and a 1TB Sata 3 6GB/s for main storage so wouldn't be installing any programs on the raid drives. Should I go with a cheaper blue or green model or stick with the black for the reliability?

thanks for taking a look at this

D

Deleted member 217926

No reason to spend more money if you already have the blacks IMO. When I got my SSD I moved my 2 x 640GB Blacks that I used to have in RAID 0 to RAID 1 for storage.

trevbotha

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
thanks for the response. I'm definitely not going to spend anymore money actually thinking of taking these back and getting a couple WD green HDD's for 1/2 the price ,just debating if i should stick with the Blacks for the better quality/performance. Anyone have issues with the greens failing a lot? Also read that the Blacks might not raid to well since they have TLER disabled

D

Deleted member 217926

If you can save money on greens then go for it. Just do not expect speed from them! They are 5400 RPM. You could take 1 Black back and keep 1 for storage unless you need more than 2 TB. You really don't need to RAID them since you already have a 1TB storage drive. Just back up to both and use them as JBOD.
The new Blacks are really not supposed to RAID but I have not heard of anyone having real world problems doing it.

trevbotha

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Thanks a lot for the help anort3 , I think ill just take them back and go with a couple greens in Raid since they will only be used for photography business . the 1TB black has all my music,movies programs etc with a lot of space on it still ( but if i throw in the photos and video from business it would fill up fast ). I keep the 1TB backed up onto a external HD and put into a fire/water safe for a little extra safety. Thanks again